hide.me - The Fastest VPN that I've used!

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm still using nordlynx (wireguard) and more consistently hitting gig+ speeds over VPN. They've been sorting out some of their servers and are more stable with speeds these days. I've noticed with passing time they ween people off of servers and then upgrade them to higher capacity / performance. One in particular lately has been giving tor speeds around 500mbps which normally isn't the case as they tend to hover between 100-150mbps. Other than tor transfers surfing / speed tests are snappy / consistent.

2. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    I guess it's a good idea to add that on average nordlynx provides 500mbps as a baseline for most connections. The only time I run into something slower is if the app connects to a foreign server for some reason. Just tell it to reconnect and it picks something more local and speeds pick up.

What would be interesting to test out is if you can find the bottleneck for the connection whether they're using 10GE pipes to their servers or something like an aggregate higher than that. Based on the user count and the ideal 50% watermark for resources by design theory. Also, depends on how efficient their diskless servers are built / configured.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm going to cancel hide.me as the service is continuously throwing up DNS resolution errors when I try to go to sites that work perfectly fine without the VPN or using another provider. I set my DNS to Cloudflare modem-side, and it's always been reliable. Switching to Google or my ISP's servers didn't help.

On a lark I gave Nord another try, and wow, has the service improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I used it. It's super fast now. The client is lightweight and streamlined, and the browser extension is full-featured, which is really great. If all continues to go well, I'll pony up for a full subscription.

Vasudev, etern4l and Tech Junky like this.
  4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Every once in awhile I'll have a DNS issue even though I'm using Pihole w/ different DNS set than Nord. I think it's more likely that the DNS problem is what they use to ween users to another server in order to upgrade it. There's so many servers though that a couple with a DNS problem isn't really an issue.

The app's though are nice when traveling or on your phone when away from home. The browser extension I haven't played with much but, have it installed for testing eventually. The main improvement with the apps/extension is using wireguard instead of OVPN as the transport. It's not sluggish because of the way it works and the slimmer code footprint causes less issues.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I may have indicated before, I continue to be happy with NORD, though I like CLoudflare's DNS better. Nordlynx is clearly faster.

etern4l likes this.
  6. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    I wouldn't know that since this is your first post to the thread.

7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I'm back to square one right now. Nord's split tunneling doesn't work. I leave Steam off the VPN so I can maximize my download speeds, but I can't even connect to the service with this feature enabled. Apparently this has been broken for several months now. One other thing about ExpressVPN is that its browser extension doesn't work without the client software installed, so if I needed any further confirmation of that particular service not being for me, there it is.

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @saturnotaku

Why do you need split tunneling for a download? The purpose of it is to protect all of your traffic.

You should be able to download titles through the connection just fine. If you use the nordlynx option you won't have much latency either since it performs better than the legacy protocol.

9. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Because when off the VPN, Steam downloads at around 80 MB/s. Connected, that slows to less than 30 - this is common among all VPN services I've used. When downloading games that are 60+ GB, the time adds up. Latency is not a consideration as I don't play online, and even then, Nord was no better or worse than other providers in this regard.

10. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    If you use the nordlynx option you should be able to max out your DL BW. I hit those speeds when downloading from major sources like NVIDIA for drivers or MSFT for updates that are large enough to sustain the connection to get those speeds.

Finding fastest server... 100 Servers online
    Server: Georgetown, TX speedtest05.suddenlink.net:8080 by Suddenlink Communications LLC (251.07 km from you): 17 ms
    Ping: 17 ms.
    Jitter: 4 ms.
    Determine line type (2) ........................
    Fiber / Lan line type detected: profile selected fiber
    Testing download speed (32) ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Download: 1170.90 Mbit/s