Hi guys need your help please

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by budo, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budo

budo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all im new here so hope i havn't posted in the wrong place etc Great forum! My problem is this, i need to purchase a laptop/notebook in the next few days but am stuck between two and need advice on which one to buy, unless there is a better one out there for this price. (I live in the UK)

I realise my budget is a bit tight (£500) but would like to get the maximum performing machine for my money, and would ideally like to play the majority of games smoothly. The best two i have found are the:

Samsung R60 http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-1905.aspx
    and the
    Gateway MT6915b http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-2949.aspx

I have been leaning towards the Gateway as i really only want to spend 499 but would spend 549 if the samsung is much better. I was just about to buy the Gateway until i read a few post bout the x3100 graphics card not being that good for gaming? Is the Samsungs ATI 1250m any better? Also which has the best processor for gaming/overall performance or are they the same.

As soon as i have had some trusted input from you guys i can get on and purchase the correct one.

many thanks martin

ps is this better than the above samsung r60 i noticed it only has 1gb ram?http://digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=11661

2. jam12

jam12 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Both laptops will be very poor for gaming. Probably even older titles will only run on low-meduim settings. There is really minor differences between both graphics cards.
    Its the same with performance as well. The Samsung has the slightly faster processor (100Mhz faster = nothing much/at all) however I don't think its worth an extra £50's for that.
    I'd say get the Gateway. There recent budget models having been getting a lot of pride and good reviews from computeractive. Plus you get a 1.3MP webcam with the gateway and and extra USB port (4 compared to samsungs 3).

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't know how the Gateway's build quality will stack up in the longer term. The Samsung notebooks seem to be well put together. Both the Intel X3100 and the ATI 1250M graphics are integrated units with limited gaming potential and are unlikely to give adequate performance in 3D gaming.

An alternative to the Samsung R60 is the 14.1" Samsung R20. It contains essentially the same hardware. This one would benefit from more RAM but would still end up just over your £500.

A potential benefit of these Samsung notebooks is that you can use ClockGen to increase the FSB speed and enhance performance.

If you want good 3D gaming performance then get the Asus F3Jp with the ATI X1700 GPU. It's previous generation hardware but excellent value for money.

John

4. budo

budo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    John, Jam, thaks alot for your informative and fast replies i think i will keep looking then as i really would like a notebook that i could get some decent gaming out of too. John wow dont know how i missed that i thought i had searched laptop direct, the Asus F3Jp Laptop - F3JP-AS113C has now become my favourite and probable target, i dont mind spending a little more if it will enable me to handle more games. Plus its got all the other specs of the other models plus camera free mouse and carry case and 2 years warranty wow so pleased you pointed that out to me, very grateful thankyou.

I am very close to purchasing that one now i think, unless there is any other better alternatives for £580 max budget. Hope that one doesn't go out of stock

thanks alot for all your help

ps min specs i want are 15.4", 160gig, 2mb, intel core 2 duo, ATIX1700 : ), vista home premium etc...

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Another option with powerful gaming GPU is the Zepto 6224W but by the time you add an operating system etc and get to the checkout then the price won't look so attractive.

Also look at the Dell Vostro (it's in the small business section) but read the latest in the Dell forum on delivery and other issues.

John

6. jam12

jam12 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Beware that Asus have a different exterior layout to other laptops. Asus have there CD/DVD drive on the left and the fan is located on the right. It all depends if you use a mouse and where abouts you use it. Especially when playing games, the fan will blow out hot air and if you used to using the mouse quite high up, then it will become highly uncomfortable.

And finally, if your looking for 2-2.5hr's of battery life with comfortbale settings, then the Asus may struggle. They've been known to produce tough, quality laptops but also which have mediocre battery life.

7. budo

budo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmmm thanks for the advice once again, thats strange with the dvd/fan on opposite sides, i think i would be able to cope with it though and get used to just having the mouse lower, as the Asus is still my favored machine at the moment even with the not so good bettery life. The only other concern i have is i have had no experience with or really heard much about the Asus brand. Is it a respectable brand that will last a good few years?

I think if i dont see any other better alternatives (suggested by you guys) then i will purchase the Asus on Monday.

thanks again for your help

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Asus became a big notebook manufacturer by making notebooks for almost everyone else. It's only in the last 3? years that they have been selling notebooks under their own name. So, yes, they are a respectable brand and your Asus notebook with an Asus name on it is likely to last at least as log as an Asus notebook with some other name on it.

John

9. budo

budo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Really ah thats interesting and reasurring to hear thankyou.
    ------
    OK i have just bought the Asus laptop, so if you guys find any better deals than this dont tell me! : ) Nah i supose i could alwas return it so do really.

Thanks for all your help- a credit to this forum

10. jam12

jam12 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nah that deal's been going round for quite a while, definetly good price for what you get.

If can spare some time, post some comments of your new up and coming laptop in the Asus forum - will be helpful for UK residents in the near future :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.