Here's a better idea for Kia

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by inperfectdarkness, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    A fastback is a car where there's one continuous curve from the top of the roof to the back end. Since the Mercedes CLS, a number of sedans on the US market have had fastback lines instead of three-box designs.

Even if you limit yourself to two-door fastbacks, I listed several on the US market, including:

[​IMG]

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    I'm going by the Wikipedia definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastback

At any rate, what makes the Supra (your example) any more or less a fastback than the Camero, for example? Correct me if my eyes are mistaken, but the slope on the back of the Supra looks just as long as the Camero's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mitlov likes this.
  3. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Mitlov likes this.
  4. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The difficulty in explaining it...is precisely why I expect my desires never to be serviced. And no, if it has a separate trunk, it's not a fastback imho. I also don't like how "hot hatch" has been perverted into a reference to fugly wagonbacks like the Focus & GTI.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think I found his dream car. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killkenny1 likes this.
  7. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    nah. my dream car is a mitsubishi GTO with 600awhp & modern amenities. I gave up pursuing said dream car when i realized how much of a moneypit it is trying to fabricate perfection--rather than just buying what i want OEM.

also the reason i haven't bought a car made this century; they all suck.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Really, no car from 2000 and up is good at all?

I don't know about you, but I enjoy my backup camera, Car Play / Android Auto, XM, LED headlights, 10 airbags, EPA 31/42 mpg, etc. I miss the flippy headlights too, but I wouldn't call modern amenities awful ;)

Of course, nothing's perfect, and there are some features I would like to have again (sunroof, leather steering wheel / seats, etc), but perfection costs money, be it extra OEM options or DIY elbow grease :)

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Well your opinion on the matter is a no-true-Scotsman test that goes against sixty years of terminology. Fastback has been a term in common usage since the 1950s to describe aerodynamic concepts that had been used in cars since the 1930s, and has been in the dictionary since the 1950s. Vintage car shows have classes dedicated to fastbacks with specific entry criteria. It is the opposite of a notchback. That's it. In a notchback, the trunk extends horizontally rearward from the bottom of the rear window. In a fastback, there a continuous curve from the top of the roof to the rear bumper. Sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks can all be fastbacks.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fastback

And besides, even using your no-true-Scotsman test, the Audi TTS is the exact AWD fastback you describe, and you ignore it every time I remind you that it's sold here.

"Hot" in this sense is a reference to speed, not looks. Calling a car ugly doesn't mean it's not a hot hatch. (See: every WRX hatch ever). And those two cars are definitely hatchbacks, not wagons. Each of those two cars has a (non-hot) wagon body shape with a longer cargo area, and the hot hatch model is the hatchback body shape, NOT the wagon body shape.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    saturnotaku likes this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    So your dream car is...a Nissan GTR or Porsche 911 Turbo? Both of which are currently sold?