Here come the high-res laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by notebook78, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yaxattax

yaxattax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I believe Apple announced an addition to their laptop line with some form of "Retina" display yesterday. While I dislike Apple (as do some other posters here) I welcome what they bring with the hopes it will push it towards becoming some kind of standard. If it is like Thunderbolt and co-developed with Intel, it will become a feature for sure in the not to distant future. I wonder if desktop displays will also start seeing these kind of pixel densities. If a laptop screen can have it, there's really no excuse.

2. Tyranids

Tyranids Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah for the low price of $400 more than last Year's MacBook Pros, you can get the new displays.

Apple was always expensive, but now it's even moreso. Hopefully these prices won't translate to the PC market as sharply.

3. Helios22

Helios22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if anything it gives ultrabook oems more reason to deliver hi res screens on the cheap

4. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I`d gladly pay a premium for a Retina display

5. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apple have just released a new MBP line with a high resolution "retina" display. I personally can't stand apple, but the displays do seem like a pretty neat thing, even if it is priced ridiculously high for what it is. They'd also be a pain to drive, four times as many pixels aren't gonna be easy to do anything 3D with.

What I don't understand is that they made a notebook known for overheating problems even thinner. Apple, get your act together. I know it's 22nm and all but there's barely enough space to cool a calculator in there, putting full on x86 hardware in there is just asking for trouble.

6. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As would most people who are involved in graphics art, photo, and/or video and design. And of course, those that are just fans of high quality items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.