Help With WWAN Antenna Installation in T61

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Rambler, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rambler

Rambler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

Im working towards installing WWAN into my T61 and have purchased the Wireless LAN and WWAN cables and the SIM card slot. The WWAN card should be arriving in two weeks.

Having upgraded my T61 to WUSB recently I thought it would be relatively straight forward and all I needed to do was install the extra WWAN antenna and run the cables through to where the WWAN card will be.

Attached is a picture of the antennas and cabling arrangenment of my T61. from the left hand side you can see the WUSB antenna, the 802.11abg antenna with the black cable, the 802.11n antenna with the white cable, the typical spot for the WWAN antenna, and the 802.11abg antenna with the grey cable.

[​IMG]

The next picture shows that the new WWAN antenna simply cant be integrated into the typical WWAN slot. Its srew holes dont line up.

[​IMG]

Im thinking what needs to be done is the following.

1) The 802.11abg antenna with the black cable stays.
    2) The 802.11n antenna with the white cable needs to be removed.
    3) The 802.11agb antenna with the grey cable to the side of the screen needs to be removed.
    4) The new 802.11abgn antenna i received with a blue and white cable goes in the spot of item 2).
    5) The new WWAN antenna I recieved goes into the spot of item 3) to the side of the screen.

[​IMG]

Does this seem correct?

Its strange that the 802.11abgn antenna has a blue and white connector.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rambler

Reputations:
    Hi,

i left out the Wireles LAN and WWAN cable assembly that I recieved from IBM.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think you have the hairiest fingers I've ever seen !

OK, I went throught the same agany. You'd think it would be simple but one has to to play antenna chinese checkers.

I have a t61p -15.4 inch. Your looks a little narrower? Also mine had a total of five wires.

You have an N card?

IF you read and read and read the hardware guide in one place it's place clear about the antenna cables. It's fast and cursory and once you see it, you say, "Oh yes", I get it now.

But I went through this. I would have written about this phase only it's almost impossible to describe.

ALL of the antenna pieces fit. You may not think they do but they will. The pieces are amazingly ambiguous.

Have you pieced it together yet?

4. Rambler

Reputations:
    thanks!

did you have to move around the antennas as per my original post?

Ive got a 15.4" T61.
    Do you mean the antenna kit had five wires?
    My kit has the following; 3 for the WLAN (one antenna with two wires, and another with one) and 2 for the WWAN.

Ive only got a 3945ABG. The card came with the additional (3rd) white antenna already installed.

The hardware manual shows that the WWAN antenna fits between top and side WLAN antennas. Theres no way its fitting in that spot.

5. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

6. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok this is about WLAN from the hardware manual:

Plug the gray cable into the jack labeled MAIN on the card, and the black cable into the jack labeled AUX. If the computer you are servicing has three cables, put the white cable in the cable bag in the card slot. After you secured the card, make sure that the antenna cables are routed as shown in the following figure.

Note: The trouble is this is the description of the stock antenna system. You have a new one.

7. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  8. Rambler

Reputations:
    It does seem that I have the new antenna kit.

My existing antenna setup looks exactly like this.

[​IMG]

Ive read the manual and it seems that the WWAN antenna should go to the right of the 3rd antenna in the above pic. But this is not possible. Ive read page 109 which states for the WWAN card to do the following:

Plug the red cable into the jack labeled MAIN on the card, and the blue cable into the jack labeled AUX.3

Page 72 of the manual states that for the WLAN card to do the following:

Plug the gray cable (MAIN) into the jack labeled TR1, the white cable (3rd) into jack labeled R0, and the black cable (AUX) into jack labeled TR2 on the card.

So do I do the following:

• Leave WUSB as is.
    • Remove the two exisiting top WLAN antennas and the side antenna that is shown in the above photo.
    • Install the new side mounted antenna that has the red and grey connectors.
    • Connect the grey to the WLAN card and the red to the WWAN card.
    • Install the new top antenna with the blue and white connector. Connect the blue to the WWAN card and leave the white as is since I dont have a 4965N card.
    • Install the new top additional antenna with the single black connector and connect this to the WLAN card.

From all of this it seems that 802.11n and WWAN share the same antenna being the one with the blue and white connectors.

Does this seem right now?

I'll think I'll write a sticky if all of this works as its been a royal pain for me getting this sorted, and it seems everyone who go through it has the same issues.

9. Renee

Renee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Keep in mind I did this a couple of months ago. I really understand you consternation because except the UWB antenna the antenna all look the same.

You are looking at the computer from the back. I think I worked on it closed and faciing me so what is right to you is left to me. Yes, the large assembly goes to the left.

What you are saying doesn't sound right. But I'd have to open up my machine to tell and I'm reluctant to do that for a reason. That plastic really doesn't like to have the screws removed too many times because it's plastic.

I do know that the installation of a WWAN card is to play antenna penucle because every thing except the uwb antenna is moved and shuffled.

Once I figured it out I was, "Oh, no big deal." But until you get it, it's a torturous experience.

I seem to remember Red and Gray to the WWAN. (But I could be wrong)

10. Rambler

Reputations:
    I just thought I'd post back on the antenna installation.

I did the above and re routed all the cables and all seems to be working well, with the WLAN side of things at the moment.

The white 802.11n cable and the blue and red WWAN cables arent connected as yet.

Im waiting on a 4965AGN and MC8775 WWAN card and I'll post back on the installation of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.