Help with new 980m

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ansi, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Ansi

Ansi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,

From my last job I got a Dell Precision m6700 and decided to upgrade the aging K3000m quadro that was in there. I went ahead and added a 980mxm Clevo board, however I noticed that the device now likes to throttle the GPU quite a bit.

I have tried Throttlestop which helps a bit here and there however as soon as the CPU is under any sort of load the 980m gets throttled again (which if I am not mistaken is an issue with clevo in general).

Really starting to be at a loss here with the exception of maybe trying a modded vbios but I have yet to be able to find one to give a try. Any ideas outside of vbios to try and get this thing to stop throttling? Or if it is that I need a modded vbios where I could get a download?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I dunno. Haven't experienced this with the M5000M.

In the sensors tab, GPU-Z has a "PerfCap reason" listed. What is it showing there when the card is throttling? What actual clock speed and temperature are you getting (should also show on the same screen)?

Hirosake likes this.
  4. Ansi

Ansi Newbie

Reputations:
    For the clock speed it likes to hover around 135mhz - 270mhz under any sort of load(the GPU load is also sitting at 100%). As for the PerfCap reason: Pwr is whats listed I never actually noticed that little bit before..

Going to guess that may have something to do with my 130w power brick not being enough?

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    980m is typically a 115w card IIRC

6. Ansi

Ansi Newbie

Reputations:
    Huh, I didn't think it would be that much. I can give it a try with getting a larger power brick and see if that helps out at all.

Thank you!

7. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 980m(alienware) in an m6700 and I've not had problems, I do have a 240W PSU though that seems like it's the issue for you. Mine runs at 135mhz sometimes too but I think it's just maybe reduced bc of optimus working with the hd4000, never had any issues in games. Mines always plugged in. Maybe try firestrike to get an idea if the card is performing within spec too.

8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Err, yeah. M6700 needs a 240W brick to run unthrottled.

9. Ansi

Ansi Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help all!

I put in an order on amazon for a 240w brick (currently on the 130w that it came with heh). I will post an update once the brick gets here.

10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    You had a 130W power brick? Bruv what kind of power did you think the 980M was putting out?

I'm glad you got this sorted though.

By the way, what CPU do you have in your m6700? I'm curious how you never had throttling under load with a 75W K3000M + the CPU + everything else on a 130w PSU.