Help with MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Izen, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's honestly pretty pathetic for a massive company to do. But the world's F**ked so there isn't much we can do. But thank you for the explanation. I kinda figured it had something to do with the voltage but I didn't know afterburner would give me that level of control. I always tried to downclock my card thinking it would help.

Wow, thank you so much for the information. I do have revision 1.0 in my 16L13, so I will certainly give this a try with the email to Tom first and then phone call if it doesn't work. I would love to have my beast functioning 100% again with no issues.

I also have the Eurocom Sky x4e2, but that 1070 failed on me with in months of owning it and I never bothered to rma it as I have had my Tornado F5 since the gpu failed in the Sky.

Mr. Fox and KY_BULLET like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hopefully, that was still under warranty and @Eurocom Support can take care of it for you. If it is under warranty, you should do it before it expires.

Izen and Falkentyne like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Any chance you can take a picture of the 1070 card without removing the heatsink? (unless you know how to re-paste and can repaste without an inconvenience).

I want to see the form factor. But if the heatsink is blocking too much.....need to see the heat plate position relative to the MXM slot and see if that "tab" is on the card (the infamous 1070 tab which made the MSI 1070 (at least the GT73VR version) hard to fit in other laptops even though it would work in a Clevo P870 with some modification.

Izen likes this.
  4. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is the model I have of the gpu. But it doesn't have the SLI connector.

5. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I no longer have warranty on this model as both laptops are no longer under warranty at this point. My tornado F5 just ran out of warranty in January this year.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Man, I'm sorry. That is a bummer.

7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Ok that's the exact same 1070 used in the GT73VR.
    Try to contact MSI. Go through Tom first.
    Make sure he understands that you know PRECISELY the problem and that the vbios band aid fix is not acceptable.

If that fails, go through MSI support. You're going to have to fight the battle of the bulge for this.
    Let them know that you want a REVISION 1.2 card that is compatible with the GT73VR and 16L13. Make sure to specify whether your laptop has gsync or not. I don't know anything about whether a non gsync vbios can be used on a gsync card or if your laptop was not designed for gsync originally, what would happen if you installed a Gsync card (most likely gsync would simply not work and it's business as usual. I think the PROBLEMS happen when the card itself is a non gsync revision and you put a gsync vbios on it).

Good luck. I want to hear some good news.

8. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I realised at work we have a reflow and reball automated machine.

On my sky X4 I reflowed the 1070 and it has been running Watch Dogs 2 completely maxed out ultra for 6 hours strait no crashes no artifacts or clock fluctuations. It seems as if I just fixed one of my beasts.

I'll be shooting an email shortly to Tom at msi as Falkentyne recommended to get the 1070 replaced in my 16L13

I will let you both know as soon as I get a reply! Thank you both so much for your help. And yes that is correct a G Sync card will not function on a 16L13 that did not come with a G-sync display because they flash the motherboard with a G-sync enabled bios.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @Izen What card did you have to re-flow and why?

I believe the gsync card will function fine, but gsync will simply not be available.
    The problems were when users (this was discussed on the Clevo section) were flashing a Gsync bios into a non Gsync card (there are differences in the PCI ID and probably some Ngreedia resistors that determine if a card supports a feature or not), even though the CHIP is the same. It's all DRM, folks. Gsync= Adaptive Sync + DRM.
    Free sync= Adaptive Sync+ FREEDOM.

FRREEDOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Izen likes this.
  10. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I have a Eurocom Sky X4E2 with a GTX 1070 (The clevo one that requires external power and is a massive card) The GPU failed 3 months into owning it but I received my tornado F5 shortly after it happened and didn't bother touching my Sky X4 and honestly forgot about it sitting in my closet. The GPU was giving me lines and crashing constantly on the screen. I just started working at my job 2 months ago now and discovered they have a reflow/reball machine and asked around and was given permission to use it on my break. Took the GPU with me to work and reflowed it and it has been working fine for 8 hours now without a single issue. Benchmarks are where they should be, temps are good, clocks are stable and even with a 6gb Vram load it handles it fine.

Falkentyne likes this.