Help with MSI 16L13 (Eurocom Tornado F5)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Izen, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have tried asking around and searching forums but unfortunately, no one has responded to my issue.
    And even reps from Eurocom can't explain what is happening.

So, it first started with games completely crashing to the desktop. It would hang and then just close the game. I wouldn't get any notification about Nvidia driver errors or recoveries.

But this only happened in certain games. For example here is a list of games it would crash on:

Titanfall 2
    Space Engineers (After 5 or 10 minutes)
    The Division (After 5 or 10 minutes)
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (It varies, sometimes I can play for hours. Sometimes it crashes after 10 minutes)
    Watch_Dogs 2 ( Instantly or 10 minutes after launching)
    Dying light (within 5 to 10 minutes after starting)
    Battlefield 1 (after about 30 minutes of play)

Games that I could play for 6 plus hours with no issues:

Just cause 3
    GTA V
    Fallout 4
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Ghost recon Wildlands
    Sniper Elite 4
    Wolfenstein the old blood
    Portal 2

After this issue became clearly a major problem and limited the functionality of my laptop I reached out to Eurocom. But unfortunately, my laptop is no longer under warranty so I cannot RMA it or send it in without it costing me an arm and a leg.

The only thing they had me do was flash the vBios to one they recommended and it only made the issue worse. Instead of crashing to the desktop, my whole system locks up, and power cycles and reboots.

I have tried re-installing windows twice, tried older and new drivers, I lost the old vBios file so I can't downgrade, I have tried installing the OS on a 2.5 inch SSD, and on different M.2 Drives with no change in the issue.

GPU never goes past 76 Degrees in temperature as I use fan boost when gaming.

Please, any help would be appreciated.

I am willing to do anything to get my beast working properly.

Specs:
    Core i5 7500
    GTX 1070 8GB (Desktop)
    32GB DDR4 3000mhz
    256gb WD black M.2 OS
    512 GB A-Data M.2 New games
    1 TB WD Black HDD for old games
    120hz 1080p LCD
    230watt power adapter

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Txordi likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I just happened to notice your post in the Owner's Lounge for your system a few minutes ago and I could not find where anyone responded to you. I looked on your profile and it appears your request for help was ignored. I apologize that nobody replied to your request for assistance. See quote below.
    NVMe always runs warmer than SATA SSD. You need to get some coolers for them to help with that. Just be sure the cooler is not too thick to fit under the cover. DO NOT use a thermal pad between the motherboard and NVMe drives, as this makes them run hotter.

I am puzzled by the second thing you mentioned. You should not be using an AMD RAID driver and if the BIOS is set for AHCI mode the drives should not be showing as RAID SCSI devices in Device Manager. That is definitely not correct and I am wondering if something goofed up there is causing the NVMe drives to run abnormally hot. I never had an issue with them overheating to the point that they disable themselves until cool down in the Tornado F5. When you installed Windows from scratch (clean install) did that problem go away, or is it still showing up that way?

Are you still having an issue with overheating NVMe SSDs, or is that sorted now? If not, that could cause the problems with the games crashing if there are read/write errors from overheating.

Papusan, KY_BULLET, Izen and 2 others like this.
  3. Txordi

Txordi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would say this seems some RAM or, most likely, VRAM error. I don't know how to find what's happening. Maybe there is a way to disable some RAM or VRAM modules to find if disabling one the error goes out... But I'm talking too much without enough knowledge...

EDIT: You can start monitoring the ram&vram usages and see if there is some weir behavior. If its ram related you are lucky because is easy to remove/replace. Maybe I'm going nuts and this is not even hw related!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you want to go back to the stock MSI 1080 vBIOS, you will find a copy of it in this archive from my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwdqi25LDwZyVUhJdDhKNWFfSEE/view?usp=sharing

There are 3 vBIOS files in the package. All are stock and will flash using NVFLASH. The Clevo vBIOS and the stock vBIOS used for EVOC machines with 1080 will run hotter than the original vBIOS used by MSI because the Clevo and EVOC firmware are for a different GTX 1080 GPU and will allow your GTX 1080 to draw more watts than the original vBIOS provided by MSI.

Izen likes this.
  5. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Hello Mr. Fox,

I was hoping you'd see this since you seem to be very knowledgeable about these laptops.

About the NVMe Drives, it turns out the 128 GB A-Data XPG M.2 I purchased was faulty, although A-Data XPG M.2 SSD's have been shown to run extremely hot due to the cheap method of manufacturing. I ended up returning the 128 and keeping the 512 GB M.2 from A-Data for game storage and eventually purchasing the WD Black 256gb M.2 as it had better performance and didn't run as hot. After removing the 128 out of the combination the AMD raid Driver and RAID SCSI device issues went away after doing a fresh install onto the WD M.2

They no longer disable themselves and show up properly in device manager. I did purchase a heat-sink for the A-Data 512 just in case and it has shown no issues since,

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry Mr. Fox,

I forgot to mention in my post I am running the GTX 1070. If you have a Vbios for this card that I can try flashing to, that'd be more than greatly appreciated.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I do not have a GTX 1070 vBIOS for you, but maybe someone with a stock 1070 in the 16L13 will share theirs with you. Sorry, I missed that GPU in your specs. My bad.

Awesome. I am glad to hear that problem is fixed now. I wondered if one of the NVMe drives was defective.

Papusan and Izen like this.
  8. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:

No worries Mr. Fox, thanks for the replies. Hopefully, someone will see this with the stock vBios for the 1070 in the 16L13.

Do you know of a V-Ram testing application by chance? Because I can run furmark for hours without an issue, I can run the unigine benchmark: Supercomposition benchmark and get the correct scores. But only in certain games as mentioned it crashes.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Izen

Izen Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Hello Txordi,

Thank you for the reply, I have tried new ram, and even tested ram modules in different DIMM's etc. Unfortently that did not resolve my issue. I wish there was a way to disable or limit V-ram available to test this.

Txordi likes this.
  10. Txordi

Txordi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh I edited my post too late hehe. It's nice ghat both of us thought the same, but what a pitty that the ram replacement did not solve the issue.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk