help with laptop replacement

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by flavarican, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flavarican

flavarican Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I will keep it short and to the point. I have an Asus n550jk. To fix it I need to solder a burn piece on it. In the meantime I need another laptop. I am looking to replace it. It has a 4700HQ and a 850m card. It cost me $700 3 years ago. What are my options nowadays?

It seems that all the new i5 chips and all the new i7 chips that end with U are not as good as the 4700HQ. I am also a little confused on the 1050 for mobile, is it just as powerful as the 1050 for desktop? I ask because the 1050 and 1050ti in the newer laptops do not have the "m" as in 1050m .
    1) What is your budget?
    ~$700
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    US
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    no preference

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    programming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, teach part time.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    light gaming (diablo 3, terraria, ark etc)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    doesn't matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    buying online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1920 *1080 no need for 4k

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    all my laptops have been ips , never had matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    no

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    asap, 3-4 days

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    until I drop it or kill it with static to get another one
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    if it saves money then get the version with the the crappy 5400 rpm, i have 2 ssds ready to swap

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Nope.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Well, currently, you're looking at one of these.

Lenovo Legion Y520
    Asus GL553 Strix
    HP Pavilion 15 Gaming

If you can live with a TN panel rather than IPS

Dell 7567
    Acer VX15

3. flavarican

flavarican Newbie

Reputations:
    hello don_svetlio,

the Legion Y520 is $1200 ( couldn't find a link)
    the Asus GL553 is $1000 http://store.asus.com/us/item/201612AM300001434-ASUS+GL553VD-DS71+15.6
    the HP Pavilion 15 $800 after changing the cpu (the link HP Pavilion Power Laptop - 15t Quad w/ 2GB gfx )

Are you saying that there is nothing less than 800 as of this moment? did i get lucky with my Asus 3 years ago?

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Y520 should start at 900$ but I guess it's not officially out yet

Well - if you want a 1050 and IPS screen, yes. 800-900$ is where you have to start. The N550 was originally priced at 1000$ or so but price dropped when the next gen came out. If you look at last gen devices like the Dell 7559 or Lenovo Y700 - you will find lots of 600-800$ 960M machines. Thing is, 960M is a rebranded 860M which is only about 20% faster than your current 850M - not a worthwhile upgrade. A 1050 is about 50-60% faster than your 850M and a 1050 Ti is about twice the performance of your current GPU. You could also check for 970M machines as the 970M is on par with a 1050 Ti but those tend to be around 1000$ as well.

5. flavarican

flavarican Newbie

Reputations:
    I see, because the next gen of the 860m is not that good, I might as well spend the extra and get a 1050-1050ti-1060 laptop. Thanks for your help. Looks like the msi is winning. I don't really like that orange on the asus one but now I keep reading how 1050 with 2 gigs is a waste. No one is satisfied!

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    2GB of VRAM is indeed very limiting. Even my 3GB 970M is reaching the VRAM cap.

As for the Asus - it's actually RGB (the keyboard) - the lid has orange accents though.

As for MSI - avoid the low end ones. If going MSI, GS or GT series only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.