Help with laptop choice: Asus vs Aorus vs Evoc

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by esp5039, Aug 7, 2020.

1. esp5039

esp5039 Newbie

Reputations:
    =======

General Questions

1) What is your budget? 2k
    2) What size notebook would you prefer? Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? US
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Asus
    b. Dislike: MSI
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Gaming, Fantasy football/baseball.
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Yes. Mostly RPGs: Baldur’s Gate, Dragon Age, etc.
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 2-6 hours; but will be plugged in 90% of the time.
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is fine.
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics
    12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.): High Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.): No preference

Build Quality and Design
    14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No

Notebook Components
    15) How much hard drive space do you need? 1-2 TB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? 1-10 days
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 3-5 years
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1-2 weeks
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? yes

=======

Long time lurker, first time poster, looking for a little help with my next laptop purchase. Pretty much narrowed it down to these four from HIDevolution, and am leaning towards the Asus first, and Aorus next.

EVOC High Performance Systems PC701A (PC70DD2) - 17.3" FHD 144Hz - i7-10875H - RTX 2060 - $1,499.00

EVOC High Performance Systems PC701B (PC70DF1) - 17.3" FHD 144Hz - i7-10875H - RTX 2070 Max-Q - $1,629.00

Custom Built AORUS 7 KB-7US1130SH - 17.3" FHD 144Hz - i7-10750H - RTX 2060 - $1,499.00

Custom Built ASUS ROG Strix G17 G712LW-ES74 - 17.3" FHD 144Hz 3ms - i7-10750H - RTX 2070 - $1,699.00​

I do like Asus, and my last two gaming laptops have been from Asus: G751 and prior to that, a G731 (I think). Between the two Asus laptops, I had a MSI GT Series GT72 Dominator Pro. However, it ran so hot, I exchanged it for the Asus. I included the EVOC’s, but recently had to return a PowerSpec 1720, due to the keyboard. Overall, I’d say the keyboard was bad, but when I bought it from Microcenter, the space bar was broken. The allegedly replaced the entire keyboard; however, when I got it back, the space bar was still dorked up. Not sure if that was a computer issue, or microcenter issue. Thermals are probably my biggest concern (big reason for going through HID), and I do plan on keeping the laptop for 3-5 years. Pretty sure the 2070 is worth the extra $200, but would love some input. Apologies in advance for the novel.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome. Are you looking to play some newer games? Because even a bargain laptop can run the titles you've listed. (Baldur's Gate brings back some fine memories for me.)

The Aorus 7 is no-frills, so I'd lean towards the Asus RoG Strix G17 given a choice. I'd also recommend the HP Omen 17t, which is well built and customizable.

And yes, the RTX 2070 is worth the extra over the GTX 1660 Ti/RTX 2060 since it has 8GB of video memory.
    Also try to get 32GB of memory for some future-proofing - 16GB is the minimum today - though this isn't as important at purchase if the laptop's memory is upgradeable.

Charles

huntnyc and esp5039 like this.
  3. esp5039

esp5039 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Charles! Right now i'm player older games, but will pick up the Baldurs Gate 3 (hopefully later this year), and the new Dragonage when it comes out. I had not looked too closely at the Omen, but i have heard good things about that model. Yeah, Baldurs Gate is a great series. In anticipation of the new game, i just finished all three of the enhanced editions. I'm also noodling picking up some of the Star Wars and/or Lord of the Rings games.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I didn't look at the EVOC notebooks you posted, but the Sager NP8378F2 is worth a look, too, even if it is at the top of your budget. It has G-Sync which I find helps smooth out the gaming experience.

One other point, the eight-core Core i7-10875H is worthwhile over the six-core Core i7-10750H as multicore usage in gaming will be come more important in the future (thanks to next-gen consoles). Not that the Core i7-10750H will be irrelevant anytime soon, though.

Charles

esp5039 likes this.
  5. esp5039

esp5039 Newbie

Reputations:
    man, just when i was set to go with the Asus. I hate to say it, i just assumed the Asus had a g-sync monitor. Looking around xoticpc has what looks to be the same model, for a bit less. theirs includes 32gb of RAM, but you do have to pay for windows. do you happen to know how they compare cooling wise, and if there is a big difference between xotic and HIDs cooling? looks like HID has the same model, but it only has 8gb of ram. thanks, and sorry for playing 20 questions.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    You're here to ask questions so don't defeat the purpose of your visit. :)

G-Sync requires computer makers to pay licensing costs so it's not that common in notebooks (or desktop monitors, for that matter), especially on the budget models. It won't make a difference in the older games you mentioned since the laptop will be able to produce enough framerates to saturate the monitor's refresh rate (e.g. a constant 144fps, if you have have a 144Hz display; you'll definitely want to enable V-sync in game). But for newer games where your laptop is not maintaining the monitor's refresh rate, it will completely eliminate screen tearing. V-sync is an imperfect approach to that problem since it doesn't vary the monitor's refresh rate like G-Sync does.

Many vendors sell Clevo-based notebooks. Sager - the largest Clevo vendor in the US, to my knowledge - sells them exclusively, but Xotic and other vendors may sell other chassis too (Asus and so on). We have a reseller feedback forum for Clevo notebook vendors where you might want to poke around. I don't know how the cooling varies between the models you posted though members in our Sager and Clevo forum might. (Just start a new thread if you can't find an answer.)

I would try to get a three-year warranty (the most basic) on whatever laptop you buy. It should be, at most, 20 percent of the notebook's pre-warranty cost.

Post your laptop short-list and what components you are selecting, me and/or other members will look it over. And like I said ask questions, you don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Charles

7. esp5039

esp5039 Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these three, and i'm now leaning towards the Sager:

https://xoticpc.com/collections/ext...ps/products/sager-np8378f2-s-clevo-pb71df2-g#
    Seems to be the best bang for the buck as it already has 32gb of RAM, but will be slightly over budget when adding extra’s and warranty.

https://www.hidevolution.com/custom...74-17-3-fhd-144hz-3ms-i7-10750h-rtx-2070.html
    Has the 2070 (not super, but also not sure how big a deal that may be), and will keep me under budget. However, does not look like it has g-sync.

https://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-h...-17-3-fhd-144hz-i7-10875h-rtx-2070-super.html
    the EVOC version of the Saga, but only 8gb of ram.

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I would try to get one of the Super graphics cards. They aren't worlds faster but every bit counts.

The Asus RoG Strix G17 doesn't have G-Sync per Asus' specifications.

The other two notebooks you're looking at do look like the same chassis. You can upgrade the memory on your own, which doesn't void the warranty on the laptop. 32GB DDR4-3200 kits go for about $135 on Newegg. (Like this kit.)
    If you want the vendor to factory install 32GB for you, maybe message their sales team and say you'll take the laptop if they can price match the aftermarket kits. Make sure it's two DIMMs (2x 16GB) so you get dual-channel for higher memory bandwidth.
    (It's nice that those laptops use DDR4-3200, it's a little faster than the stock DDR4-2933 that Intel specs.)

Charles

esp5039 likes this.
  9. esp5039

esp5039 Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks again, i appreciate the help!!!

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.