1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Help with configuration - DELL Inspiron 1420

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Farid, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farid

Farid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

I am leaning toward the DELL Inspiron 1420 because it is the only new notebook I have seen so far (been to Staples, Best Buy, Future Shop) that has a matte/non-glossy screen and because it seems to be a nice combination of budget (~ $1000+tax), portability and style.

Since I am a new and novice user, I could really use your expertise regarding some of the questions I have. :eek:

Although I will only perform basic tasks such as MS Office, Internet, listening to music, watching movies etc, I am a bit concerned that it will have enough juice to run Windows Vista smoothly. I have tried an Inspiron 1420 with similar processor but with integrated graphics & 1 GB memory and it lagged pretty bad so I am wondering if the same will happen with my configuration and if so, what I could change to avoid that.

How long will the 6-cell battery last?. I need a minimum of 3 hours.

Is there any noticeable increase in performance in getting a 7200 rpm hard drive instead of a 5400 rpm or will the only noticeable change be more heat and less battery life?

Also, I would appreciate if guys could give me your thoughts regarding the Inspiron 1420 and my configuration in general.

Thanks in advance. :)

• Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 (2MB cache/1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB)
    • Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
    • Anti-glare, widescreen 14.1 inch display (1280 x 800)
    • 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 Dimm
    • 160G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    • 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS
    • 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    • IntelJ3945 802.11a/g Mini-card
    • 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    • Integrated High Definition Audio

2. odin243

odin243 look at all the colors...

Reputations:
    That configuration looks fine, it should run Vista great. If you want to reduce lag, check out Flamenko's Vista Tweaks thread. Also, it sounds like you'd be happier with a 9 cell battery. If battery life is important, you should also consider getting integrated graphics.

3. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great choice and configuration, my only issue would be the CPU, if you have the budget move it up a notch.

7200RPM drives are faster - better if doing video encoding less dropped frames, 10,000 RPM would be better in that case - but doesn't exist for notebooks. But because you won't be doing video encoding, you will NOT need a 7200RPM drive, it'll just drain the battery a lot more. Plus I have yet to see real physical proof that 7200 from 5400 is honestly worth the trade off for battery life.

odin243 is right, you will get better battery life with integrated graphics. But Vista might chug along when running Areo. Stick with you're configuration in my opinion. Just consider a slightly faster processor if it's in you're budget. ( TXXXX series is my fav :p )