Help Upgrading Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by longhornbsbll15, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longhornbsbll15

longhornbsbll15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, i'm lookin to try to find a good upgrade to the maximum amount of ram possible for the girlfriends computer. I bought my laptop with as much as possible on it(runs the hell outa everything ;) ) but she's got a few year old Toshiba a75.

Here's the link for the kingston configurator for her laptop. I think I've figured out that i can use pretty much any 1GB or less ddr sodimm right?

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...tellite+A75-S231&distributor=0&submit1=Search

BTW i'm still workin on figurin out what all the sodimm and other things mean......So be gentle and explain as if you were explainin to an old man. I'm a freshmen IT major and completely wanting and willing to learn WHATEVER.

And I'm also about to do the same thing with my uncle's computer....

Thanks guys

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You might want to consider upgrading to a faster hard drive first. If she's using a 4200RPM hard drive, that's most likely the biggest performance bottleneck.

3. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    While you should definitely consider ZaZ's suggestion, if you still want to consider more memory, then yes, you can use pretty much any DDR RAM.

Basically if you use sticks that are faster than the machine's stock RAM speed, the new memory will downclock itself to match that speed. If the new sticks are slower than the machine's stock RAM speed, the machine will downclock to the RAM's slower speed.

SODIMM refers to the form factor of the memory. Desktops just use DIMMs while laptops use SODIMMs.

4. longhornbsbll15

Reputations:
  5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you are using XP, 1gb is probably enough.

6. longhornbsbll15

Reputations:
    any specific modules you'd recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.