Help ! r2 5870m blind flashing

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by G.F.Y., May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Morning/afternoon/evening you all.

So yeah. I was messing around with rbedit and somehow I made a bad flash. I've been able to flash my card before with 800/1100 clocks and 1.15v (even got the custom A10 bios loaded without a hitch) so i'm at a loss with this suddenly happening.

Currently, as I press the power button, the fans spin up as normal, the keyboard shows it's typical lightshow but no display.

I still have the usb stick I used to update my card before to the A01 vbios, (currently it's got the modified A01, with clocks raised to a stable 800/1000 and 1.15v).

What to do..?

Looking forward to the help of you pro's. Thanks. :)

***my system's running on one card only, I haven't upgraded it to crossfire yet. So boo, no second card to help me see what i'm doing.

Anyway, I uploaded a video of what's currently going on with my m17x, if you've got time, please check 'em out. I've provided links.

Please correct me if i'm doing anything wrong. Thank you!

YouTube - Help with m17x r2 vbios blind flash
    YouTube - Help with m17x r2 vbios blind flash part 2

2. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    bump^ help plox :x

3. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure you just try to flash it again, but blindly. Just boot from your usb wait like a minute or two then type atiflash -p 0 bios0.rom(if that is what you named your original Vbios) then wait another minute or two(can wait till 5 minutes if your paranoid) and restart. I have never had to do it so I am totally assuming, but that seems like the course of action to take

4. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmm...alright, gonna give it a run.
    ~hold on, the usb i got would be the R281544 I got from dell. it's the automated one right? where you just plug in, boot from it, then everything's a-go.

would that work?
    Or should I try the traditional atiflash way.

Btw, thanks a ton for replying! Thought no one would. :)

5. DJ_Pawel

DJ_Pawel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With the R281544 vBios from Dell boot from the usb, wait 30-60 secs and press B to flash the cards. Wait a minute or two and press any key to restart.

6. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hmm, so, I boot, quickly tap f12 for a few seconds, then hopefull i'd be in the boot selection screen? By then, how many arrow keys down would the usb be?
    I currently have my windows seven in my 120gb ssd, then there's a 500gb storage hdd, then there's a cd in there...then the usb on the side.

7. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ok update. seems no matter what boot order I choose, (press f12, down arrow key, B. ) *stucks at nothing so fail* (press f12, down arrow twice, B) until it reached like the fourth.

Still nothing happens.
    I also noticed, that when I press the letter keys too many times, each keypress just starts to BEEP.
    What do I do?
    Should I post a video of what's currently going on? thanks.
    Looking forward to your replies.

8. matwalsh

matwalsh Newbie

Reputations:
    I speak under correction (and anyone can feel free to correct me) but try disconnecting your HDDs so the usb is forced to be primary boot device? Maybe disconnect dvd as well for safe measure, that way no F12 needed, it should just run the USB.

9. calingasan

calingasan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try disconnecting the other graphics card and boot your machine. You might get your display back so you wouldnt have to flash it blind

10. G.F.Y.

G.F.Y. Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    mind you, i only have one 5870, and it's the one that's bricked.

I'll try the disconnecting thing. :)

Say, can anybody explain about the bios beeping after I keep on pressing the keyboard keys for a whiile? like it'd let me press any key for around ten or so seconds, then each time I press any key again, one beep comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.