Help needed

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by LogantheHamster, Jun 19, 2018.

1. LogantheHamster

LogantheHamster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

since the latest Windows Update to version 1803 I believe my Windows master boot record is somewhat broken, because it doesn't automatically boot from any bootable SSD anymore, but from every other medium. However when I set my PC in sleep it does boot from bootable SSDs, which is kind of strange.
    When I start my PC I currently have to enter the boot menu and chose the SSD on what my Windows 10 is installed on, to boot from - quite annoying.
    So far I've done the most common solutions you can find on the net, but reinstall, reset or similar my Windows 10 installation. I checked my mainboard and other hardware too, the tools I used detected not a single issue. I simply do not want to set it up completly again. ^^

Hopefully you can help me with this and find a solution.

My system is as follows:
    - Intel Core i7 4770k
    - ASRock Z87 Extreme6/ac
    - 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz (10-12-12-31) by Team
    - 2x Nvidia GTX 970 by ASUStek
    - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Greetings,
    Logan

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try this if you are using UEFI/GPT
    http://www.dell.com/support/article...windows-7-8-81-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en
    Try this if you are actually using MBR
    You get to the below option either via rapid F8 clicking as your computer starts or multiple failed boots taking you to recovery options or via system settings in Windows if your are able to reach windows desktop.
    Go to Startup Repair -> Command prompt
    type this: bootrec.exe /fixmbr

To know if you are using GPT or MBR go to Disk Managment in Control Panel and right click the target volume and click its properties.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    LogantheHamster likes this.
  3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It sounds more like a board issue not a Windows O/S issue. Did you check your BIOS update as it seems like your BIOS is failing is what it sounds like also if it has battery you need to check the battery condition.

4. LogantheHamster

LogantheHamster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, did not help though.

Hi, Bios is up to date and battery is still in the green.

I'll reset the PC tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue, if not I let Windows reinstall itself and if this doesn't work I'll do a clean install.