Help Needed - Clevo 17.3" 4K Thin Workstation Nightmare

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by darkprime, Feb 4, 2020.

1. darkprime

darkprime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For my job, I have had an Origin PC (Clevo rebadge) NT-17S Laptop. Basically it's Clevo thin and light 17.3" laptop, but mine had the i9-9850 CPU, 1070 GTX graphics, and 4K display. My first one had a bad TPM chip, so Origin replaced the motherboard with a motherboard that couldn't read the battery. I sent it back in for service and got it back except they put in a motherboard with the wrong CPU, didn't put any of the screws back in the case, and left a diagnostics HD inside it. I sent it back and they said they would fix it right this time. Now they tell me they cannot get the same board and want to exchange it with a new 17.3" model (basically the exact same chassis), but with a slightly slower i7, a 2070 gpu, but only a 1080p screen. This is my work computer where I really need the higher resolution screen for visualization of CFD simulations and other modeling tools.

They tell me they cannot swap the display from my old machine with the new one, but I don't believe them. One technician told me that they (didn't say who they is) doesn't make the 17.3" thin and light with a 4k anymore, and another one said they just didn't sell well and yes it can be swapped out. Does anyone know what the motherboard model number is in these motherboards so I can track this down or have information to say who's right?

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can compare the panel specs of each and look at the eDP pin count. 4k 60hz is usually 40 pins while 1080p 60hz is 30 pins.

3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would take the trade, and just use the 1080P if it were me. It is unfortunate but, you would practically get a new machine. If they cannot swap your display, what else can you do? request another model that has 4K?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Get a refund?

5. darkprime

Reputations:
    They have my old machine and will only ship one back, so I cannot easily compare the two. I have asked about a refund but they haven't answered me.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    What refresh rate is the 1080p panel?

7. darkprime

Reputations:
    144 hz

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It should share the same pinout then most likely, so it should be a case of a panel swap between the units.

9. darkprime

Reputations:
    That's what I hope, but I won't have the option to do that since the vendor, Origin PC, has both my original and the new machine and will only send one back to me and will not attempt to swap.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I mean if they really don't and it's important to you then you could swap it yourself. It's not too tricky to do and can be swapped back if the unit needs to go back.