Help Needed: BSOD Problems Using USB Ports

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by alcaloide, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, Mr Fox, it seems it fixed the problem. Can you imagine how many headaches I had due to this problem?!? And it got fixed with "just" clearing the cmos. Since I did it, no bsods, no usb ports shutting down, very stable indeed. Now I am thinking getting back to the vertex 3 in a couple of days. What a nightmare.

Thanks anyway for all the support I had in this forum.

In a week, I will post to update my situation, but it seems SOLVED!!!

Best regards to you all.

2. SeanOfOz

SeanOfOz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I predict you'll get a couple days out of it, then the problem will reappear. I think I have the exact same issue. I have even had the motherboard and USB daughterboard replaced, but the problem has always returned. I have tried more things/respawned more times than I care to remember. Haven't tried shorting the BIOS though, so I'm keen to hear if your problem reappears. Generally the solution (if you can call it that) for me is to put NOTHING in the USB 2.0 ports. If I use the USB 3.0 exclusively I only very rarely get the bugcode_usb_driver BSOD.

As an aside, my latest suspicion is that something might be plugged into the USB 2.0 hub internally that is causing the problem. I suspect the webcam. I used the Fn+F9 key to turn it off, and have not since had a BSOD, although I have hardly ever used the 2.0 ports. If it does come back for you, you might try switching off your webcam using Fn+F9.

3. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    SeanOfOz, thanks for your reply and for your tip!

Fortunately, the system installed very smoothly and nothing is wrong until now. Nothing! Even I can't imagine that, because for days I believed I had a hardware failure.

It's been on since then and still stable.

And the mouse is in the usb 2.0 port constantly.

Sorry to hear about your system. It is so frustrating when it doesn't work like it should. I know the feeling. Try shorting the bios... I would!

4. Zolutar

Zolutar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Glad to hear you resolved the issue. I had a similar problem with my laptop when I first received it, same error coded. Had a mb swap and a depot return. The depot return resolved my issue finally. I'm glad to hear yours was resolved without "going there" :)

5. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, Zolutar, it's a big releaf. At that time when you had the same error code, did you try clearing and shorting the CMOS?

Because I am wondering about how many people may probably think they have a bad MB (like I did) and in fact, it is just a matter of clearing the CMOS...

Even dell's representatives may be missing this...

And as you change a MB you have to unplug everything, it makes sense it will work anyway. Of course there are cases when there is definitely a hardware problem... This could be an understated fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.