Help Needed: BSOD Problems Using USB Ports

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by alcaloide, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    just confirming you have installed intel chipset drivers too correct?

2. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, guys.

Just an update on my situation, since the last post.

I did install intel latest chipset drivers and MEI, BUT had twice a "not loading windows" when tried to install RST, different versions.

So, as I was TOOSAD to deal with the computer, I decided not to do anything else. Just count the BSODs...

BUT I continued on looking for answers on google and other forums and find something funny and decided to apply. People were saying that they were having problems exactly like mine AND some kind of relation with audio drivers. As I didn't have installed them (the sound was working, so why install, I thought), I decided this would be a long, long shot, but nevertheless worth a try.

So I installed the audio drivers. And since then (24hs and counting), no more BSODs. WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! Not that I am complaining, but how would I ever think about this?

I don't know if this was the cause, but it apparently stopped my bsods.

I will post any bsods in the next week just to let you guys know. Afterall, knowledge is never enough and this could help others.

I will keep you guys informed.

And again, really appreciate all the attention and help I got with my problem. Thank you so much. Specially Mr Fox that even had the trouble to help me in PMs.

Let's keep our things crossed.

PS: Just a remind: I didn't update windows and there is still an "unknown device" on device manager... maybe the rst, I don't know. Too afraid to deal with it in the moment.

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Chances are that the unknown device is the Freefall Sensor......it's easily overlooked/forgotten about and if you didn't install it you would have a missing/unknown device showing as you can see. Good to hear that it's not BSOD'ing any more though!

4. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Stevie, Thanks for replying.

Indeed freefall sensor is overlooked. But due to this forum, for me, it's not anymore. :p

I will try to figure it out later. I will post here what it might be, after installing anything new.

Anyway, 48 hours with no BSODs. I am becoming happy again. How this piece of hardware can change my mood??!!? :D

Regards

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Wow, if installing the ff sensor driver fixed that BSOD problem this is terrific news. I've never gone without it installed so never ran into the problem before.

ff-sensor.jpg

6. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No, no. I installed the audio drivers and the system became more stable. But just now, I was writing an email and BSOD. Same error as before: usb driver.

At least the system stand stable for almost 30 hrs... Maybe it's really a hardware thing.

7. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wow, after isntalling ATI AMD drivers, I have BSOD like crazy. The computer is worse than before.

So I started to think about the problem: my laptop was working reasonably stable and then I decided to format due to vertex 2.22 firmware upgrade (was using 2.15). Since this event, my problems started. I thought on another approach then: I will do a clean windows install on a hdd and see if the instability goes on. Maybe the problem is in the new FW on my ssd and not the laptop.

I will post the results in a few days. Fingers crossed.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Could be... OCZ SSD are known for instability. (Mine are behaving OK right now... touch wood, as Brother Stevie would say.) See if OCZ will RMA them.

9. alcaloide

alcaloide Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mr Fox, this is happening using hdd! I decided to exchange the disks just to see if it was ssd's fault. But apparently not. Even using hdd, the system is a little more stable, bsods like 2-3/day, but the usb ports (only 2.0) are insisting on turning themselves off. Tried everything you could imagine, changed the power settings, disabled the port and re-enabled them, arghh, completely lost here!

So after doing I believe everything, I decided to open the computer and do a clear CMOS and short it, the only thing I haven't done since the changed firmware. And I noticed that the fans only work in BIOS (a05), but as soon as I get to Windows, they stop. Really, neither one of the three works, on little tasks. Is it normal???

But since I did this procedure, BELIEVE OR NOT, NOT ONE BSOD! NOT ONE USB PORT SHUT OFF. Only 16 hrs since doing that, but it may have solved my problem.

Could it be real? Is clearing the CMOS SO important ?!?!? Well, will post for new events.

PS: Can't stand hdd as a system drive anymore. I want my ssd back, sniff.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Clearing the CMOS can be very important. Doing so has resolved a number of issues for me and I hope it fixes this for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.