Help needed: 8740w + GTX 1070

Discussion in 'HP' started by triturbo, Apr 3, 2018.

1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Thanks for the time @t456 but it didn't work. Swapped the GPUs, followed the guide (really nice work there), flashed the firmware, everything works as it should with the M8900, the 1070 is still a no-go. Funny thing, with the M8900 both displays were recognized properly and running naive resolution in the Lubuntu. The DC was listed as an eDP.

2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Bummer, the driver doesn't get tricked that easily then. Good to know flashing custom edid on a DreamColor is possible though; that also allows you to change calibration on the hardware level, independent of OS or drivers.

Btw, does the extra refresh rate show up in the monitor options, at least? And for Windows; you did uninstall the old display entries before re-installing the 'new' display and, lastly, the 1070 driver? Old edid entries of every monitor, in- or external, will remain in the registry until manually removed.

3. triturbo

Reputations:
    Or the vBIOS is the problem, or both.

Yeah, this is the good part. I was thinking about overclocking as well, but I have too many other things, so not of main concern of mine. The calibration on the other hand might have @83bj60 interested :)

Forgot to check, sorry :( Would it show it if the display drivers are not installed, so I can check it with the 1070, since it's a bit of a pain to swap the GPU's (I'm using K5-PRO as thermal pad replacement which is awesome, but a bit tedious for application).

None of these. After driver removing (with DDU) and then reinstalling, what else I'll have to do and where? Thanks!

4. t456

Reputations:
    Good question. It might still show up on the 'Monitor options' page; displays are read out and controlled by the graphics driver, but once they've done so their specifications would still be accessible. The registry locations to check are these two:
    Code:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\
    Export those registry paths somewhere and we'll check their values first.

5. triturbo

Reputations:
    Here are the extracted registries:

Attached Files:

6. t456

Reputations:
    The registry still has the old 'LVDS' edid and the driver sails by those parameters. You did follow the guide to the end, right? That means especially checking the last part where you re-run the edid dump in order to verify it's different from the pre-flash dump; some panels are write-protected, so even if the flash procedure says 'all good', that doesn't mean the values are actually written to the eeprom. Curiously enough, both the stock edid and my mod have the same '0x24' checksum (pure coincidence), so you'll have to look at some of the values to spot it has been changed.

If all is well then it simply needs the re-install in order make Windows and the driver aware of the 'new' display:
    1. Uninstall gpu driver(s) with DDU.
    2. Uninstall monitor in 'Device manager'.
    3. Use the 'Check for hardware changes' thingie.
    4. Install graphics driver.
    The registry dump should now show up with the new edid and, so the theory goes, the graphics driver ought to contain the settings required to run an eDP panel.

7. triturbo

Reputations:
    Still no go. Do you want me to make a regdump for you?

8. t456

Reputations:
    Sure, but it'd probably still show the old edid. If you have a spare disk laying around; perhaps easier to do a quick clean install.

If that still doesn't show a different edid in the registry then the eeprom is likely write-protected (linux dump would also show a no-change). Soldering would be required then. Have this panel myself; could mod it as a proof-of-concept and at least verify it'll identify itself as being an eDP and still run happily. Don't have a Pascal card though, so can't do that very last check.

9. xor01

xor01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @triturbo can i look at your modified 8740w internal?

10. triturbo

Reputations:
    Clean W8.1 install and GPU drivers only - scrambled picture, like the GPU is defective. I can upload a picture if you want. I guess it can't be fooled this way, or I'm doing something wrong, or the problem is not there in first place. I'll try to flash back the original EDID and see how it behaves on a fresh W8.1 install.

If it's not too much of a hassle, I'd love to hear your results.

Here you are.