Help needed: 8740w + GTX 1070

Discussion in 'HP' started by triturbo, Apr 3, 2018.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the interesting edid. This is the LP171WU8-SLB1?

It's indeed claiming it's using LVDS interface or, more accurately, it's been left empty, which is generally being interpreted as LVDS since there's no official setting for that.

Weirdly, there's a third timing block which is hidden from the MonInfo dump and presumably also from the system (it should've been between the 48Hz and 50Hz). The timing says 147x1528@120Hz, which is probably why the OS skipped it as being 'way out of range'. Either this is a freak error or it might be used for the second cable by that odd DC driver. Should guess that the system doesn't show this optional resolution anywhere?

Anyway, made a small modification for you to try:
    LGD0270 - eDP mod.bin

It will identify itself as using eDP and substituted the third timing by a 1600x1024@85Hz option. That's only a small 3% overclock, so it shouldn't have any issue running that. This is merely an extra 'native' resolution, so just something you could potentially switch to.

Don't think the 1070 will permit you to flash that, but the old card should do fine.

triturbo likes this.
  2. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I forgot about that

3. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    I'm not sure about that. LVDS is an Analog video format while the edid says "Input signal type........ Digital" which should be eDP or at least DP

4. t456

Reputations:
    No; LVDS is also a digital format (i.e., it uses logic levels to determine '0' or '1'). VGA, Composite and SCART would be defined as 'analog' within the edid standard. The odd thing is simply that the standard has no specific code for LVDS (unlike HDMI, DVI and DP), so it's left with '1***0000'/'digital: undefined', which is the same for every LVDS panel in existence.

Wikipedia has a nice summary (OpenLDI = LVDS): List of video connectors.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yes, it is LP171WU8-SLB.

I haven't seen this resolution.

Thanks! Couple of questions before that:
    How to back-up the stock EDID?
    How to flash it?
    There's a program that controls the color space, brightness and etc. I think that it is more of a ColorBoard controller, rather than display one, but do you think that there's a chance that it wont work after using this file?

Will try and let you know. If it doesn't let me, then I'm not sure when I'll be able to flash it.

6. t456

Reputations:
    Sent a pm.

7. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    Thanks, I know vga and component are analog but I thought lvds was too on account that it's been in use for over 25 years and modern gpus are ditching it

8. triturbo

Reputations:
    Tried to see what TeamView would show me - low and behold not a single display was found with the msi vBIOS and drivers installed.

@t456 so after quite a few drivers, even @j95 ones, I got to try the flashing as well. It didn't work. There are no I2C devices. Here's the funny part. I booted my external first and it was running @1024x768 (or something like that). Then I swapped vBIOSes, booted with the DreamColor and it was running @1920x1200. So I guess Linux recognizes it as a DP/eDP display and drives it properly. Then why the external was running at such low resolution and the other options were lower, nothing higher? BTW This was done with the 1070 (1ba1) in there as you can see from the report that I've attached.

This thing doesn't stop to amaze me.

Attached Files:

9. t456

Reputations:
    Flashing edids on 10*0 hasn't had a single instance of success, so it wasn't very unexpected. It'd be interesting to see what happens when using the old card.

The linux driver might skip the interface check and proceeds to reading out all the specifics first, such as resolution and refresh rate, while the Windows version could halt right after seeing an LVDS display. Just a guess though, but it does explain the differences.

triturbo likes this.
  10. triturbo

Reputations:
    I see. I thought that it wont work at all. My bad. A bit hesitant to swap the GPUs, the 1070 sits so nice and tidy in there :D Should find time this week, because it really grinds my gears.