HELP - Need to upgrade from my Laptop from old Acer aspire 5920g ??

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bilabonic, May 4, 2019.

1. bilabonic

bilabonic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all

1) What is your budget? - around £300

2) What size notebook would you prefer
    c. Thin and Light; - 14" at LEAST screen (OR THICK SIZE SLIMNESS NOT IMPORTANT!!)

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: ACER, DELL
    b. Dislike: ?????
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? -YES

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? -Surfing web, trading, streaming films

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?-BOTH

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) -NO

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? -1-2 Hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? - Online OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? - Not sure, best for watching films/surfing web?

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) - Not sure, best for watching films/surfing web

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? -NO

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? -250Gb ish

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? -ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? -3 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? -I will use current so not applicable

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? -NO

................................................................................................

My old Acer Aspire 5920G is getting unusable, it struggles with multiple chrome windows PLUS the fan is on contant making a noise if i open another program ( i am trying to use Ledger Live to trade BTC and other coins).

I am CLUELESS when it comes to laptops but i know mine is OLD (not sure how to get the specs)?

It has an 'Intel Centrino inside' sticker on it plus an 'ATI RADEON HD3470 Graphics 256) sticker on it and 4Gb ram??

It is unresponsive and getting to the point of unusable even for streaming videos!!

I only have one 2 tabs open and one program and the fan is FLAT OUT, 52 prcesses going, 72-86% cpu being used and 50% physical memory!!

Can anyone recommend an upgrade please.

I NEVER play games/gaming, mainly surf/social media and run odd program as well BUT it seems this is struggling now....

I'm not bothered about a disc drive all i want is something with more power and a big screen (14") to watch films/stream films..

I have looked on Ebay but it's a 'minefield' with choice!!!

I have a budget of around £300...

I did come across this but still unsure if its any good??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FA...163430233285?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Anyone help me please....

Much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Starlight5 and bilabonic like this.
  3. bilabonic

bilabonic Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered this last night, for £205 inc delivery (was up for £320 inc delivery but offer was accepted)..

Is it any good, or should i cancel and get what you linked??

So confusing...

***It will not let me paste on here*** ??

4. bilabonic

bilabonic Newbie

Reputations:
    Dell Latitude E7270 12.5" Laptop Core i5- 6300U(6TH GEN) 8GB RAM 240gb.

A powerful laptop in great condition and amazingly lightweight .
    Works perfectly with no faults or dead pixels.

Intel Core i5-6200U (6th Gen) @ 2.40GHz 2.50 GHz

12.5" Inch HD screen LED-Backlit

(1920 x 1080 fhd)

Intel HD graphics

8 GB RAM

240gb (SSD) M.2

=£200 inc delivery...It has a slightly smaller screen which i think i can handle...

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You can see that Thinkpads with warranty for the same model costs upwards of 1000$ even though its nearly 4 years old. Thinkpads are reliable machines. Well, I feel Thinkpad keyboards are better than Dell's.

6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Spec wise you will not notice any difference between 5300u and 6200u. Dell has got better screen resolution but the screen size is smaller.

7. bilabonic

bilabonic Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for replies...

I have just had this inbox-
    '
    whatever you get,make sure it's 8 gen cpu..the difference between 8th gen v 7th is so much(whether it's U version like i7 7500U vs i7 8550u / or hq version like i5 8300H vs i5 8300H,which i5 8300H is even better than i7 7700Hq,and even 7820HQ for that matter)
    & make sure that your windows&programs are installed in SSD,not mechanical hard-drive.
    for 8250U in ebay, refurbished:'

With this link BUT they are above my budget of £300...

Should i cancel and wait a few months for price to drop? or will they drop??
    It would not bother me at all to wait tbh...

What does the HQ mean? High Quality...??

This was the link to what to get -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...o=300&_udhi=410&_nkw=8250u&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

8. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you can get 8250U notebook with £290-320 from UK ebay,pre-owned/refubrished:
    link
    you can get previous generation cpu's top-line as well,like 4900MQ/4910MQ: link & link2
    anyway,this is some cpu comparison:
    [​IMG]

9. bilabonic

bilabonic Newbie

Reputations:
    Cheers..

I have just contacted the seller to see if i can cancel my purchase and he has stated he has this for sale 14.1" inch ones for sale but lower spec again....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Lat...m2f2fca28ef:g:eJQAAOSw8Ipcuwx7&frcectupt=true

I honestly want to cancel now and go for spec you guys have recommended!!

What shall i do, i will have more money in a few weeks so could afford the higher spec/more future proof.

I see the links to the higher specs one, they all mention gaming, i will NEVER be using it for that...

Thanks

10. bilabonic

bilabonic Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks.

The seller IS willing to cancel sale if i want.

Do i wait a couple of weeks and go for a better spec/bigger screen (my current is 15.4")...

What do you think guys?

I think i should and go for a i5 8250u with 15.6"" screen and higher res (not sure what mine is but it's not very good at all...lol)

Cheers