1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Help! My M18x won't connect to my TV?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by 24usedtorock, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 24usedtorock

24usedtorock Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I ran an HDMI wire from my M18x to my TV. It appears the Samsung Plasma picks up the connection as "HDMI2" device pops up, which is the port it's connected to and does my PS3 with.

How come then video isn't immediately transmitted? What's going on? Please help me I really wanted to stream video on the TV and see how it looks.

2. zexel

zexel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Right click on desktop - 'Nvidia Control Panel'
    Select - 'Display' - 'Set up Multiple Displays'

Set up the options you want, not forgetting to click 'apply'.

3. 24usedtorock

24usedtorock Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, it just worked! I made it so when I close my lid, the PC does nothing. I did notice it lost signal once before I tightened it a little in back of my PC and reinserted, I wonder if that's a cause for concern. It obviously fits flush in the laptop but in back of the TV it looks odd, I'm buying a new TV anyway.

Are there any programs to improve signal or could that have been a fluke?

4. zexel

zexel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually you mentioning about that, I struggled to get HDMI working initially on mine.
    In the end I unplugged and plugged back in and it then worked, wasn't sure it was the actual cable or the socket itself.
    I didn't spend a lot of money on the cable so presumed it was that. Hopefully it's not a flaky socket.
    It works for now so am happy.