Help! My laptop got wet

Discussion in 'HP' started by tsubaki, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldMajorDave

OldMajorDave Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    …..matters not. I was just yanking your chain anyway. Sorry, guess the humor (attempt) failed to translate. FYI, Here is the original post. Compilation though…. ??? http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5291635

At-any-rate, don’t give up hope just yet tsubaki. Though the chances are likely slim, if you continue to let it dry, it may at some point still work. As stated above, remove everything you can including also the CD/DVD drive and let it all air out in a low humidity environment (if such a thing exists in the Philippines :) ). Just one damp connector could cause your issues.

Also, I hope you don’t live on Luzon…. folks there have been taking a serious beating by serial typhoons.

All the best....

2. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    Normal tap water does, since it has dissolved minerals and salt. But pure distilled water doesn't conduct electricity all too well.

3. jimbob83

jimbob83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you buy it on a credit card with purchase protection?

4. bobthenailer

bobthenailer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sorry to hear about your laptop, just out of curiosity, what model is it? I don't want to get your hopes up but from whats going on its just not detecting the HDD, like other people have said its not over yet. The good news here is that the computer is passing its POST (Power on Self Test) which means that none of the most important things on the motherboard (RAM, CPU, Graphics) are fried or else it would not get this far when you try to power it on. Its just not detecting the HDD, it may even be possible in the BIOS to set it to boot from an external USB drive (kind of unorthodox, but if it works it works). Now as far as WHY its not finding the HDD is the question. As you said they put the HDD in something else and it works so we KNOW its not the HDD, that leaves 2 things, the motherboard or possibly the connector (sometimes a connector board) between the HDD and the motherboard. Tell us what model PC it is and we should beable to look through the service manual to see weather the HDD goes right to the board or if there is a connector. Its not over till its over.

5. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OldMajorDave, you devil! It WAS you, and here I thought you just had an amazing memory!!! Thanks again for the good advice, and my apologies for the editorializing.

PS You can yank my chain any time!!! ;)

6. TheCuriosity

TheCuriosity Newbie

Reputations:
    Now this is interesting. I know someone that uses his credit card purchase protection all the time for things that are his fault and he always gets his money back. For example, while doing laundry he got a little bleach on a shirt he bought a a few days earlier. He immediately called his credit card company and they reimbursed him.

Sad to hear about your laptop. My old (and still working) Compaq I use outside rain or shine and have spilt water on it myself too. Only issue is the up dutton and one of the shift keys stopped working.

7. Bullit

Bullit Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the time people should wait for laptop to dry depends on climate. At summer 30Cº , no humidity in air is one thing, another is in plain winter. Also it is good idea to put it near a fire place or in an oven but never surpass the recommended travel temperature. 12 hours in an oven at 40ºC probably evaporates most of water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.