help me to find a good laptop for my usage

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by asal lotfi, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. asal lotfi

asal lotfi Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everyone
    i'm a software developer, already own a 2016 MBP MLH42
    i'm about to change my device. i don't like apple anymore and ofc the terrible MacOS that they proud of it.. pffff
    i'm looking for a nice looking laptop with strong enough internals for advanced development use
    do i like 13-14" laptops? ofc i do! i'm tired of 15" display
    budget? around $1000 (lower is better :) )
    fav OS win,mac,lin? ofc LINUX but it's ok if the devices doesn't have linux installed. i'll do that myself
    my primary tasks? Software development/ a bit of light gaming( get used to play cs.16 :) )
    what about the CPU? i really like AMD ones much more that intel ones. personal reasons..
    how much RAM do i need? at least 8GB (DDR3/DDR4)
    how much space do i need? at least 250 GB(SSD only)
    touchscreen? not a thing for me. but i'll be good with it if i like the unit
    2n1 devices? not a bad idea :)
    keyboard? keyboard is one of the MOST IMPORTANT things about my device. i do like my MBP keyboard but i would love it if it has more key-travel

most important things: Thinness and Lightweight / Display resolution / powerful CPU / lovely keyboard / SSD / all metal body finish

note: i already checked asus zenbookpro-3 series / dell XPS 13/15 and matebook X / HP Spectre X360 and ..
    please tell me about the devices that are not very common in the internet coz i've already checked all of them all.
    thanks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. asal lotfi

asal lotfi Newbie

Reputations:
    just saw a pic on the internet that robbed my heart!
    anyone knows this laptop's model?
    [​IMG]

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

The laptop in that picture is a Thinkpad.
    I think for your budget you could get yourself a nice business grade machine, with excellent build quality and better reliability than a MacBook. I highly recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad T series, Dell Latitude 5000 series and above and HP Elitebook.

I did a search here for a laptop that should match your criteria: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

So if I was to give a quick recommendation consider the Lenovo Thinkpad A485 and the HP Elitebook 745 G5, both excellent laptops for your needs, that should last 3+ years at least and with AMD Ryzen processors. The Thinkpad keyboard is largely consider to be among the best in the world, though I think keyboard quality is a subjective thing.

asal lotfi likes this.
  4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's not a ThinkPad, it's a Dell Latitude. Not sure the model, but it's from within the past ~3 years. Possibly a Latitude 14 7000 series. The Latitude 14 7490 is the newest of those.

That said, I agree that a business-class machine is going to have better build quality and will last longer under most situations.

Charles

ALLurGroceries and Ultra Male like this.
  5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The ThinkPad T480s is lighter than the 7490 and offers a better keyboard/stick. If you don't mind the slightly thicker(though this usually makes for a better keyboard) and heavier T480, there's some nice Cyber Monday deals on Lenovo.com for the T480. There's a T480 with quad core, 8GB of memory, 512GB NVME SSD and FHD IPS screen for $700, which seems like a good price.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry, got fooled by the keyboard:
    Latitude: [​IMG]
    Thinkpad: [​IMG]

Ultra Male likes this.
  7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah - I only caught it because I saw the Home and End keys were doubled up with the arrow keys, which is something Lenovo doesn't do on ThinkPads.

Charles

ALLurGroceries and Ultra Male like this.