help me salvage my Alienware 17R4

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by LaptopGamingGeek, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know what neck of the woods you call home is, but Harbor Freight usually sells a variety of cheap tools, cheaply made, but will do what you need them to do for a job like this. I'm not a big fan of drilling out a screw on a heat sink due to the pressure required but if you're careful, that should work fine. You'll need a drill (corded or cordless) and a set of bimetal drill bits. I'd buy a set just to avoid hunting for the right size. Select a bit just larger than the shaft of the screw and then carefully drill away until the head of the screw comes off. You should be able to remove the heatsink at that point and then you can use a pair of pliers to unscrew the shaft out of the motherboard.

You might want to completely remove the motherboard from the chassis and support the CPU backplate on a block of wood. That way you can apply a bit more pressure without having to worry about the motherboard flexing on the standoffs.

LaptopGamingGeek likes this.