Help me not buy a car

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by knight427, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    ummm...DSM? Mazdas? those 2 names stick out like sore thumbs to me when i think "crappy turbos" from back in the day.

i want to say a few more, but it's been a while since i've been in the Import car scene. i'd have to look more into it to give u specifics. can u tell me ANY cars that come with indestructible turbos? u sure can't because they don't exist. personally, i don't see a turbo failing at 65k a breaking point because that's to be expected. cars with forced induction require a little more TLC compared to an N/A configuration. the general consumer probably doesn't even monitor his/her turbo's temps, oil, etc as much as they should anyways.

here's the funny thing about all this: turbo cars should be appraised on a case by case basis because u don't know what that turbo has been through in it's lifetime.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Uhh my friend has a 1980's Volvo 240 with a turbo...still going like 260k miles...

3. houstoned

Reputations:
    so by saying that, all 1980's turbo Volvos are still going on their completely factory unit...?

i highly doubt there was no maintenance or replaced parts during those 260k miles as well.

4. aaronmjr

aaronmjr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're right, they are more complicated. It adds another system that can break. But DSM's? The 14b and t28 from the 2 generations of 4g63 were pretty Stout. I'm not trying to argue, I just think turbos aren't generally something to be afraid of. A good PPI is a must buying a used car anyways. Just try to make checking for turbo shaft play (giggity) leaking oil lines, blow-by etc. part of the inspection if the turbo is easy enough to get at.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. houstoned

Reputations:
    that's all i was saying. don't let a (small to me) problem like a little turbo totally turn u off of what might be your ideal vehicle. to me, a turbo going out is like any other important part failing. every car enthusiast should try owning an FI vehicle at least once in their life. they're great learning platforms that help further your awareness about cars.

13g and T25's -_-

14b, T28's, 16b's, and so on were good though.

P.S - i hate u for making me trying to remember all of these turbo models and stuff...all of this stuff came to me alot faster when i was actually racing and messing with this type of stuff lol.

6. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It was/is related to failure in oil circulation. If oil wasn't changed often enough, it creates sludge that blocks a certain filter inside engine and then turbo won't get proper lubrication. Problem in 1.8t engines, somewhat fixed in 2.0t generation (but I'd still change oil more often than recommended)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I think this is a common problem on all turbos, no? When you stop the car, a small amount of oil is left sitting still in the turbo which is hot and is sitting on top of the hot engine. So you carbonize your oil much faster with a turbo.

8. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes but it is a design fault when you combine that type of filter and exceptionally long oil change intervals, an accident just waiting to happen.

9. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    #1 cause of turbo failures in heavy diesel engines right there. Just because the turbo's bigger doesn't mean the lubrication point's increased.

10. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:

^^^^^^

I agree wholeheartedly.

If that Accord is in decent shape I'd just drive the last mile out of it, which is not likely to happen anytime soon.

My $0.02 only...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.