Help me not buy a car

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by knight427, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I've driven the IS250 AWD/RWD like 2011 model, and I felt it was a little bit underpowered, but again that's my perspective on it (205 hp V6 pulling a 3500 pound car).

My friend did own an older one, it's a 2008 model A4 2.0T. Literally his door trim fell apart, and he's had some issues with it, keeps bring it back to the dealer.

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Chiptuning for Audi A4 2.0 TFSI – RaceChip Chiptuning
    I've had my eyes on such 2.0tfsi but they are still out of my reach, cheapest stw @15k euros atm. Altough they are tempting as they can be programmed for both power and E85 ethanol compatible (switchable).

3.0l in the newer models is a nice target for chip too. - same engine is in S4, S5, A4, A5, A6 in different power configs.

2008 old? I guess they don't make them as they used to... For me early 90's is old :p Besides build quality goes up as the model numbers grow. I have old '98 A6 and several years newer A4 just isn't as nice, altough I won't say it aloud when I'm the passenger... :)

3. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Course the higher end models are nicer, but there's also a 33% price difference too...

Personally I wouldn't even buy an Audi that has a turbo, American models are just so differently made than European models. Like German VW are made in Wolfsburg...while US ones are made in Mexico. Just Google Audi K03 turbo, and you'll see what I mean. They literally die at like 65k miles, while German 1.8T models got the K04 turbos, last much longer. If in the US, I'd opt for the V6/V8 over any turbo motor, just my opinion.

4. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    the 'T' in 2.0T doesn't stand for turbo.

the newer A4 2.0T's are supercharged.

@Tsunade: i wouldn't really put too much into ppl's "reviews". u should always go out and try them yourselves. form your own personal opinion about something, for yourself. i don't really agree with your post at all.

5. aaronmjr

aaronmjr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Eh, the 2.0t is most definitely turbo... And what he said about the turbos failing is absolutely true in the models that did not come with k04s. It's not just people's opinions that their turbos broke.

As for not wanting RWD in Minnesota, I live in MN as well and actually prefer it when using snow tires. Easier to correct understeer when things get hairy. Hope that helps. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    AFAIK the K04 were never sold with the B5 chassis A4, it was a European model only I believe. Alot of people pay for the K04 for their old A4 because K03 will just crap out...and then you got the people who go and tune their 1.8T...

Well like I said, I've driven the 250 and 350, and the 350 definitely has more pickup than the 250 (duh, it has more HP, bigger displacement V6). If they eeked out maybe 15-20 more HP for the 250, maybe it'd make a significant difference. Maybe some people don't care about the bigger V6 and say the 250 is fine. I haven't driven the newer IS, just saying that was my experience from the slightly older IS (maybe the redesign has helped it, I'm not sure).

IIRC the new Audi A4 is a 2.0L turbo or a 3.0L V6. The S4 has a supercharged V6, dropping the 4.2L V8 from the B7 chassis S4 (the gearing made the fuel economy horrible).

7. houstoned

Reputations:
    that's pretty true with most, if not all, cheaper turbos that come in cars sold in America. turbos aren't designed to last THAT long without some kind of rebuild and/or maintenance. just look at all the older T03-type of turbos that came in cars from the 80's-early 2000's.

plus, my comment about ppl's opinions weren't towards the turbos.
    my bad, u're right. i was thinkin about some of the S-line vehicles switching to superchargers.

i wasn't disagreeing with the IS part of your comments. i was disagreeing with u saying that u wouldn't even consider a turbo Audi. a turbo upgrade is like a couple hundred bucks if u look around.

8. aaronmjr

Reputations:
    This was a straight up epidemic. Like you figure a turbo upgrade into the cost of a car that hasn't had it done. Not just a simple failure of a worn part. That's all I was getting at. Not sure what you are getting at with the rest of your comment. Most of the typical failures I am aware of for turbos in us market cars are oiling issues. Like Subaru Legacy 2.5gt's and their banjo bolt/filter problems. I drove an 87 Mazda 323gtx turbo for many years back in like 06' with no turbo problems.

9. houstoned

Reputations:
    what's your point...? u're only supporting my argument.

10. aaronmjr

Reputations:
    My point is that failed vw/audi turbos was an isolated thing. I can't think of "all the older T03-type of turbos that came in cars from the 80's-early 2000's" that had problems anywhere near this widespread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.