Help me not buy a car

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by knight427, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    my mindset: work hard play hard.

i don't see any reason to keep the Accord if his finances allow for a (huge) upgrade. also, a car with 180k+ miles will need some type of major tune up sooner or later. i don't believe in keeping cars that long because, like it or not, they're ticking time bombs. plus, i REALLY REALLY hate that generation of Accords. it's butt ugly.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The major things for that mileage;

- Timing belt (and by that nature, water pump)
    - Trans flush
    - Spark plugs, rotor, cap, plug wires
    - Oil change, filter, oil gasket seal
    - Radiator/coolant
    - Control arms, bushings, tie rods, shocks/struts
    - Lights, body stuff

3. houstoned

Reputations:
    and that's just the short list.

sell the thing while it's still worth 5k-6k + a little more money to down = affordable payments for a 25k-30k car.

if i was in his position, i'd be looking for something like a 2011 Audi S4 starting yesterday.

radji likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    If you want us to prevent you from buying a car, just give me your financial information and I could ensure you won't be able to :p.

That said, I can't really take the IS250 seriously. It's a luxury brand but it's basically a dressed-up Civic in my mind. That said, imo the Volvo is the more sensible choice whereas the Infinity would be the most fun choice. Whatever's more important for you.

5. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If it has to be one of these, my vote goes to the G37x, followed very closely by the S60. i'm not as seasoned as most of you old farts but my thing is: as long as my car puts a smile on my face every time I get in it, I'll keep it until it's not practical to drive. I've had multiple opportunities to get out of my mustang, but I love that car. Sure, it's in crummy condition. The wind noise is so bad because I can't get the ttops to seal that I can't hear myself think. But I know when I get in that car, I'm gonna have a good time. It's a gas hog, but a lot of the time I find myself taking the long way home just so I can drive her a bit longer. Unfortunately, I don't know that I'll be able to make that happen in my next car, but we'll see. Find out what aspect is most important to you and make sure you choose the car that's going to make you smile! Whether that be comfy seats, a nice touch screen, or power when you put your foot to the floor!

6. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    Wow, lots of great comments to reply to.

I think you maybe misread something. No one questioned Volvo safety until you brought this up, though it did point out that little bump in Volvo's history when it was shackled to FoMoCo. I think part of the reason Ford got rid of them is that they failed to squeeze the profits out of it. Ford tried to xfer tons of profit from high-taxing Sweden to the not-as-high-taxing US by charging "consulting" fees on designs of cars that were designed long before Ford even took them over. The Swedish govt put a stop to this, which had to have been a contributor to the sale. But every time I see a Ford Fusion, I think about how much the front grill looks like an S60 and I have to wonder if the consulting fees should have going the other direction.

Yeah, the is250 is a pure value play. I'll drive one for sure. I mean, how bad can a Corolla with a 200hp V6 and real NVH treatments be? Audi S4 I haven't considered for a few months. They are too popular and too expensive to fix. I might as well throw in BMW 3-series if I consider the S4, but again I am just too worried about the costs if something goes wrong. Also, Audi is super-popular right now, so deals are harder to come by.

When we bought the Honda, it felt luxurious to me. It was my 2nd car bought with my wife coming after a Chrysler Cirrus. That car bled us dry and wasn't all that nice other than the V6 and leather. I've been through that point in my life where reliability with good (not great) ride is all I could have ever asked for. Now I want something a little more exciting but need to keep cost under control since we are currently paying off a 2013 Odyssey. So sure, I could get something brand new at that price, but I want better than "pretty nice" and am willing to take a calculated risk to get it.

Can you even lease a used car? If so, I'll bet the terms are terrible. No, this will be trade-in + down payment + loan from credit union.

A dressed up Civic is the Acura ILX. That's a 2L I4 with 150hp. :rolleyes: The is250 is Corolla based yes, but at least it has a V6 with over 200hp.

7. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I still back Houstoned on the Audi. Popular as they're getting, still are great cars.

(and I could have sworn your OP read that your Volvo list you had safety under Cons)

But then again, I have been known to hallucinate things which aren't really there...

And yes, you can lease a used car. It just isn't all that popular a thing to do. And I do agree with Tsuname's assessment. At the mileage your current auto is at, you have a laundry list of items which need to be addressed in order to keep it in good working condition. Timing belt, water pump, steering and suspension R&R, and body/frame touch up repair (with a titanic amount of luck you may need none) will easily set you back $2k easy.

The question you have to ask is this: if things start going wrong on your Honda in the very near future, will you be able to shell out a considerable amount of $$$ to keep it in great working order for another 6 years or so (by 300k miles, your engine will need an overhaul). Or, can you put the trade-in value of your Honda along with a reasonable down payment towards a new(er) car and be able to make monthly payments on it for X number of years?

8. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I'll go ahead and add teh A4 to my list.

Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    2009-2010, 40k-50k miles
    $23k-$$25k
    2.0L I4 turbo, 211hp@5.3krpm, 258ftlbs@1.5krpm
    6spd dual clutch
    21/27 mpg
    curb wt: 3715lbs
    p/w = 0.057hp/lb (same as Lexus) :(

Gotta work on Pros/Cons but why is the Lexus so hated for being so weak while the Audi is so loved when they are evenly matched on paper?

9. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The Lexus isn't terribly weak, it is a smidge underpowered IMO if you don't go for the IS350. I was just commenting on how ho-hum boring Lexus vehicles are, the IS is no different. Like if one were to ask what was the first thing on my mind if they said the word Lexus, I would say boring. But at least for the most part, Lexus vehicles have legendary reliability.

I personally don't like Audi (know numerous Audi owners whose cars literally fall apart, and they do keep their cars in immaculate shape).

10. houstoned

Reputations:
    because the IS250 is not evenly matched on paper. the 2 cars handle quite differently (AWD vs RWD) and look at the torque numbers from the supercharged 2.0 in the A4. the reason why i brought up the S4 was because it had the practicality of the Volvo and IS with the speed/fun factor of the G37. if u're set on your 25k budget, and don't wanna splurge then a 2009-2010 A5 would be my hands down winner amongst those choices. that's a very handsome car that will not get very old anytime soon. have u been in a 2007+, or newer, Audi? their interiors are arguably the best in the business right now.

P.S. - i'm not "hating" on the IS250 because it's a solid daily commuter. i just prefer "driver's cars" and the IS250 is not that.
    maybe Lexus of yesteryear, but they've made strides in the performance aspect. i love what the new GS is doing for the brand and can't wait to see their future planned models. definitely support the passion that Lexus/Toyo is trying to revive into their vehicle lineup.

i'll take a guess that most of those Audi owners were owners of older models. since 2006/07, Audi has improved in, pretty much, all aspects of their vehicles. it's a great time for the auto enthusiast because alot of car makers have picked up their game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.