Help me not buy a car

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by knight427, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    I've been researching cars but I really should just keep driving my 2004 Honda Accord EX (4cyl) with 182k miles for a while longer. That said, here are my contenders and some Pro/Con comparisons. Your thoughts and insults are welcome.

Infinity G37x AWD
    2010-2011, ~30k-40k miles
    $22k-$24k
    3.7L V6 328hp@7krpm, 269ftlbs@5.2krpm
    7spd dual clutch
    18/25mpg
    curb wt: 3807lbs
    p/w = 0.086hp/lb (+53% to Lexus)

Pros
    Best up-front value
    Best power and p/w
    +1 gear

Cons
    Lowest fuel econ
    Peak power at very high rpm
    Middle choice for reliability/long-term costs

Lexus IS250 AWD
    2008-2009 ~30k-40k miles
    $22k-$24k
    2.5L V6 204hp@6.4krpm, 185 ftlbs@4.8krpm
    6spd dual clutch
    20/26mpg
    curb wt: 3651lbs
    p/w = 0.056hp/lb

Pros
    Best long-term value

Cons
    lowest power and p/w by far

Volvo S60 T5
    2012 ~30k-40k miles
    $24k-$25k
    2.5L I5 250hp@5.5krpm, 266ftlbs@1.8krpm
    6spd dual clutch
    20/30mpg
    curb wt: 3548lbs
    p/w = 0.070hp/lb (+25% to Lexus)

Pros
    middle of pack in power but at low rpm
    best highway mpg
    known for safety
    not so many on road

Cons
    worst value both up-front and long-term
    not AWD:(...AWD available but pushes costs the point where I'd rather lease new

So to summarize, The Infinity is the fastest, the Lexus is the best value and the Volvo I obviously have an irrational preference towards

2. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i've never really had much experience with Volvos so i couldn't really speak on their current models.

the IS250 is just meh to drive. it's a good daily commuter, that'll get u to point A to C, but that's about it. plus, the interior is tiny.

the G37 would be the funnest daily commuter out of the 3 while looking the best. if Lexus' reliability rating was a 9 or 10 (out of 10), i'd give the G a 7-8.

knight427 likes this.
  3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    As houstoned pointed out, the IS250 is a tiny car, probably...less roomy than the Accord. It's pretty....uneventful to drive, your typical Lexus, IMO. Volvo I can't speak for specifically...just unsure about their reliability. The G37x is going to be the "sportiest". Don't even worry about fuel economy. No real luxury brand is going to be cheap on the long run, going to the dealership, using premium gasoline. Why not add TL Type-S (AWD), and GS-350 to that list (availabler RWD or AWD).

knight427 likes this.
  4. knight427

knight427 theenemysgateisdown

Reputations:
    So far I've driven the S60 (new) and been a passenger in my co-workers G37x (S package). So I have yet to really get an idea if the IS250 is doable or if the GS would be too big. My only hesitation with the TL is that it looks a lot like an Accord (of course) and the beak is not my favorite thing (but I don't hate it like some). But yeah, I have a lot of driving to do. I will not get RWD, too much downside to that living in Minnesota.

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Volvo...not known for Safety?! :eek2:

Whatever you're smoking, gimme some.

Volvo's are renowned for their safety. It's also what drives up their price to astronomical levels. Reliability wise, it depends on the model. Their crossovers and SUVs do have serious issues with fuel economy. I've may have worked on 1 or 2 Volvo cars before. But mostly on their construction machines. Volvo diesel engines have a reputation for being very extremely efficient. Gas engines only so much, and I would attribute that to the fact their auto-trans tend to only last 5 years before the clutch pack(s) need replacing.

I'm with Tsuname on the Lexus. Just because they say it's a luxury car doesn't mean it actually is.

knight427 likes this.
  6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    Volvo actually had a span of horrible reliability and a few models that weren't "up to par" in the crash test ratings. they've probably fixed those things those because they've been around for a while. i don't keep up with them, so i couldn't really say anything more than that.

the IS is an entry-level luxury car. it's not a bad car at all. it's just not great. it has the Lexus fit, finish, and reliability. u're just not going to get a WOW factor when u drive it because that model wasn't made to do that.

forgot to add: how about an Audi S4? :wink:

knight427, JOSEA and radji like this.
  7. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    you already have one and its working, keep the car save the money and invest it in some opportunity.

knight427 and ajkula66 like this.
  8. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I do remember that. When the IIHS released it's first report, Volvo wasn't even on the list. Ironically, the dip in Volvo's safety ratings coincided with the period when it was owned by Ford. And the car safety quality really skyrocketed after Ford sol Volvo (to a Chinese Auto group no less).

Boy would I love an Audi though...:eek:

knight427 likes this.
  9. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    I would stay with the Honda, assuming you know it has been maintained properly. I would be leery of used cars in general (Why would a person give up a car with no major issues?), most people I know do not do regular maintenance. PLus for that price point there are numerous new cars in the Subaru lineup

knight427 likes this.
  10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    How are you getting this car? Lease? I'd say no to all of them if thats the case. Pulling out a loan? I'd say no to that as well. Not when you have a car that is working and still has alot of life left in it.

knight427 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.