Help me find a Gaming Laptop with no price cap Part 2

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Lightingbird, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightingbird

Lightingbird Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey all,

I had a similar post up looking for a good gaming laptop under $1100 and I came across some good machines. I've decided to just drop the money and get the best that I can without being stupid. I think the amount I was trying to budget might not work.

Now I found this one that I did like.
    Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q860 NoteBook Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
    It was recommended by a few people and it is decent. It has a 18 inch screen that I would love.

So now what I am seeking is a 17 inch or more, hopefully a solid state drive for the OS( not a must ), and one of the following video cards.

1. Geforce Gtx 480m SLI
    2. Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Crossfire
    3. Geforce GTX 285M SLI
    4. Geforce GTX 280M SLI
    5. Mobility Radeon HD 4870 x2
    6. Geforce GTX 480M
    7. Geforce GTX 260M SLI
    8. Geforce 9800M GTX SLI
    9. Mobility Radeon HD 5870

I'm not looking for anything used or 3rd party. So any ideas?

2. Histidine

Histidine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Before anyone else says it: Alienware. If you truly have no price cap, and if heavy beyond belief is no obstacle, it's got really nice performance. But you do pay a premium for that performance.

There's also the Clevo X8100 (forget what Sager calls it), which is 18" screen (since you like the Toshiba Quasimodo), and GTX285m SLI. Again, you'll pay a lot for this one (probably less than the Alienware in Crossfire, though), and it's heavy as sin. But it's good, and it's big, and it's powerful.

There will be the Clevo X7200, which isn't quite the successor to the X8100, but more of a D900F successor. It will have a desktop i7 processor, GTX480m's in SLI, in a 17" frame, and will probably cost you your house (this is only if there is TRULY no limit to your spending). It will be the beast of beasts, though, if they actually get all that working without issue.

In the more reasonable price range, the Clevo W880CU is probably my highest recommendation. Single GTX480m, probably will be reasonably priced, has USB3, and generally an all-round nice machine.

The Toshiba X505 is a decent laptop, but it isn't the greatest for games. It's fantastic if you primarily use your computer for listening to music (its speakers are great), but it isn't the best deal for gaming on. A 5870 or GTX285m will be much faster.

3. Lightingbird

Reputations:
    Ha Good God. I should have said like up to 1700 or maybe 1900. Those things are expensive but monsters none the less. Ha.

Then I found W880CU you recommended for close to 1500!
    Satori Series - MALIBAL

I'll have to add that to my list.

4. SpeakerGeek

SpeakerGeek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are several offerings from Clevo, just as Histidine stated. They are extremely powerful and well built. They dominate such laptops as the Toshiba. Also, consider the Asus G73. It's no Alienware or Clevo, but it's nice for a good price. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd go for the Clevo with the Fermi (geforce 480m). I like the Alienware, but I don't like dual graphics cards in laptops. They are portable heaters and the ATI crossfire tends to have some artifacts (which don't occur using single ATI cards).

5. SpeakerGeek

Reputations:
    That is an excellent machine that I highly recommend. The value is unprecedented, especially with this level of build quality.

6. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    That is actually a W870CU. Strange for some reason they are advertising the 480m too, maybe there selling both the W880CU and the W870CU under one label as the W870CU does not have BIOS support for the 480.

With your budget get that with a 5870, 720QM minimum, the rest up to you. If you really want a SSD that bad you can fit it into a $1900 budget.

7. SpeakerGeek

Reputations:
  8. Lightingbird

Reputations:
    $1,580.13 for it with your recommendation. I think you gave me a winner :) Id like the SSD for a super fast OS but its not crucial.

9. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    If you do a self installation for your SSD and get it below retail on ebay you can afford it definately.

I forgot to mention I believe XoticPC has a better price on it Sager NP8760 - XOTIC PC - (Built on Clevo W870CU) np8760 Gaming Laptop

Either way for the price its really the best machine you can get and people are very happy with the card and CPU.

10. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    $1130 17" MSI E7405-080US i5-430M 2.26 4GB 500GB HD5870 1680x1050 W7HP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.