Help me decide?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by lordvoldmort, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordvoldmort

lordvoldmort Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So after spending days and nights on deciding which laptop I should get , I narrowed down the choices to the following
    1-Sager NP8298 ( i7 4710MQ+ gtx 860M) ( 1219$ )
    XOTIC PC | Sager NP8298 (Clevo P177SM-A) - 17.3" FHD Gaming Laptop

2-Sager NP8278-S (i7 4810MQ + gtx 870M) ( taking the SSD off it will cost 1349$)
    XOTIC PC | Sager NP8278-S (Clevo P170SM-A) - 17.3" Gaming Laptop

also I was thinking about their equivalent MSI and MSI bare bones which are

3- MSI GE70 Apache pro ( i7 4700HQ+gtx 860M) (1299$)
    XOTIC PC | MSI GE70 Apache Pro-012 - 17" Custom Gaming Laptop

4-MSI GT70 dominator (i7 4800MQ+ gtx 870M) (1399$)
    XOTIC PC | MSI GT70 Dominator-895 - 3GB NVIDIA GTX 870M / Intel Haswell Quad Cor

basically I will use the laptop with gaming and want it to be future proof as much as possible so my questions are :
    1- will the extra bucks from the 4700+860 to 4800+870 worth it for future proof or wont make much difference ?
    2- Basically I feel more comfortable with the sager than MSI specially because of the dual fans vs a single fan in the MSI or their bare bones equivalent specially because the weather here is very hot in the summer but don't know about the build quality . So are the sagers superior also in the build quality ? or the single fan in MSI is still good and will do the job and the MSI deserves the more bucks in each option?

So to sum up What i need is :
    future proof gaming laptop + good build quality + very good cooling
    So which of the above suits this more ?

Thanks in advance

2. govermentcheese

govermentcheese Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I concur with your assessment, more fans are better than less fans. I have read though that the single fan MSI is capable of moving more cubic feet of air than three fans can combined. I can only assume that's with the fan running at 100% "Cooler Blaster" which is very loud.

I would go with the Sager NP8278-S with the understanding that you can't really "future proof" a gaming laptop.

3. lordvoldmort

Reputations:
    thanks for your reply gover . I know you cant make a gaming laptop completely future proof . I was asking if adding the extra 140 $ between the different cpus and gpus combination worthy to add like 1-2 years for the laptop life time before it needs to be upgraded or not (i7 4700 + gtx 860 vs i7 4800 +gtx870)

4. XxxKing YBxxX

XxxKing YBxxX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If those 2 upgrades only cost you 140 more they are worth it no questions asked

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. lordvoldmort

Reputations:
    OK thanks for your reply . now back to the sager , msi discussion in terms of build quality and cooling . MSI is more expensive for both options . does it worth the more bucks ? or its just for the brand ? also should I consider any of its bare bones like this one?
    XOTIC PC | FORCE 1763 (22-069) w/ 870M (MSI GT70 Dominator Barebones)

6. govermentcheese

govermentcheese Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 4810MQ has a higher clock speed than the 4710MQ by 15% which isn't that overwhelming, however the GPUs are more of a divide. The 870M has 50% more memory, 25% better passmark scores, 60% higher pixel rate ... and so on. For me, if I couldn't configure the the laptops any further than what you've listed, the Sager NP8278-S would be my choice. It's worth the $140. Of course it could always be better if you had more on the top end of your budget.

I guess I should also be asking what you intend to play and on what settings?

7. lordvoldmort

Reputations:
    For now , not all the games I play are so much demanding but I always play on high / ultra in any game . but may be later this year or next year I go for more demanding games so I want it to be ready .
    For the budget I wont be able to flex it more than that . so from your opinion , is there any other better options in this price range ? and what about the sager vs msi in terms of build quality and cooling?

8. SSDdrivei7

SSDdrivei7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The GTX 870M is from Kepler, aging; the 860M is from Maxwell, new; which is newer, runs cooler and can be overclocked significantly when the time comes to easily beyond the GTX770M; so the choice for me would be Maxwell, but I would also want the MQ cpu, for possible later upgrades, as the HQ are soldered. :)

9. lordvoldmort

Reputations:
    so you go for the gtx 860 over the gtx 870 even with the difference the 870 has in performance ?

10. SSDdrivei7

SSDdrivei7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I travel at least every other day, so, you're darned right I'd go for the Maxwell 860 with a 4800MQQ pushing it! Awesome Road Warrior! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.