Help me decide which laptop to get!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by TexasJoe, Sep 7, 2020.

1. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I'm sure there are a thousand of these threads posted here.... but here's mine:

General Questions

1) What is your budget? --Prefer to stay under 2k, though not a hard number.

2) What size notebook would you prefer? --Prefer 15.6"
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? --In the USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? --Not really, though I'd rather stay away from Chinese brands if possible.
    a. Like: Asus/MSI
    b. Dislike: HP/Lenovo
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No, prefer new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Business work, but also want the ability to play games and do a little video editing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Travel. Lightweight and thin are big priorities, don't really want something bulky.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Yes, not a lot but sometimes. Civ6 is one, though I think it has pretty low requirements. I'm not a hardcore gamer.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 3-4 min. Of course more is nice.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? --I don't mind buying it online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. --Windows 10.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) Higher resolution is great of course, but not a dealbreaker.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? --Would kinda prefer something more plain, but not a huge priority.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? Prefer 1 TB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? --Hopefully at least 2-3 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? --I mean it wouldn't kill me, but don't want something that's likely to fail either!

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? --Probably ship it?

I hope I answered everything, if you have more questions let me know! Basically I will be travelling a lot in the next couple years, so I'm looking for something thin and portable. One I really like is the ROG Zephyrus, but the 2020 version has no webcam, and I need that for video calls for business. Getting that and getting an addon camera is an option, but thought I'd look here first and see if you all have better ideas?

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Dell XPS 15 might be worth a look. If you don't mind a return, you can probably find one with a nice discount in the Dell Outlet.

If you plan to carry around your notebook a great deal, you may want to consider upping the warranty to include accidental coverage. Notebooks that travel tend to take a beating and every time you move it is another chance for a mishap. Dell and other notebook manufacturers will sell you accidental coverage, but a lot of credit card companies will extend for another year or two, depending on the card, for free. Good luck and welcome to NBR.