Help me Choose - MSI,AW,Aorus

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by vish120292, Dec 27, 2018.

?

Currently Considering these. Which one would be your pick?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. MSI GE73 Raider - i7 8750H, GTX1070

25.0%
  2. Alienware 17 R5 - i7 8750H, GTX1070

25.0%
  3. Aorus X7 dt v8 - i7 8850H, GTX1080

50.0%
  1. vish120292

vish120292 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm in the market for a new Laptop (Ideally a desktop replacement) and having trouble choosing which one to go for. I expect the help of experts here :)

==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Preferably around 2000 GBP. But can go higher if it's worth it.

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 17 Inch.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Alienware,MSI,Aorus,Asus
    b. Dislike: Sager/Clevo
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Mostly day to day tasks related to work. Running VMware included. Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Rarely take it to places. but Should be somewhat Portable.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? Pubg, GTA, COD, Far Cry etc.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Doesn't matter.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is ok.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? FHD or 2K at most. Confused about 120hz and 60Hz displays and difference they make. Not sure if it's just hype.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes Should not be too flashy (G752)

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 1TB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? January, February 2019

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 3 years maximum.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1 week

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? No Extra for warranty as I will not be staying in UK for more than a year.

==========

Thank you in Advance :)

2. vish120292

vish120292 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    About the Laptops I'm considering which are mentioned on the poll,

Alienware
    Pros - Second to none build quality, Personally like the looks, 1950 GBP for the configuration I like.

Cons - Hearing horror stories about AWs recently. Out of the box issues. On several forums. Don't know the validity. Overheating on i9 GTX1080 Version , I hope my configuration doesn't overheat :/

MSI

Pros - Nicer Keyboard (IMO) with per key RGB, Looks ok, 120Hz 1080P Screen. About 1900 GBP for my configuration.

Cons - Hinge failing threads online! kind of worried about build quality, TN display (not a big deal)

Aorus X7 dt v8

Pros - Has everything I need. 144Hz 1080p display, lighter and subtle looks. GTX 1080.

Cons - Considerably Expensive than other 2. (2600 GBP) , Runs hot under load, Hinge failing videos and threads! . No Service Center in my native country (Sri Lanka) after I move from UK.

3. jsabin69

jsabin69 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm partial to Alienware myself. But I gotta ask because you aren't going to move it much and battery life doesn't matter why are you after a gaming laptop instead of a desktop and a midrange laptop.

As to the downsides of the alienware, you might be able to help with the heating issue on the latest Alienware if you are comfortable doing some working on the heatsink...repasting or for great results but a bit more technically challenging and risky going with liquid metal, but regardless Gaming Laptops are just heat monsters due to the form factor limiting room for proper heat sinks/liquid cooling.

My final advice will be the same conclusion I was brought too as I'm currently wanting to upgrade my gaming laptop--you may want to consider delaying your purchase until the new cpus and graphics cards make it into the laptops since this will drastically expand your performance options and possibly give you a lot more bang for your buck.

vish120292 likes this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    All 3 notebooks are nice, I would lean towards the gigabyte or if you like the Idea of eGPU the alienware.

vish120292 likes this.
  5. vish120292

vish120292 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Only reason is I will have to travel once in a while for and I cannot carry a Desktop. I prefer an all in one solution anyway.

as I heard it new ones are coming out in January. but I'm worried about price and cooling. 10 series is established and has nothing to prove.

I can work on a Laptop but I have not done repasting or liquid metal. It will probably void my warranty as well.
    I wish there was something like HIDevolution or Xoticpc in UK but couldn't find any.

How is your experience with Alienwares? I'm worried about the horror stories and lack of a proper 1080p 120Hz panel. Is it possible to use an aftermarket Panel and install it?

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Once repasted with liquid metal the alienwawre does decent as long you don't go purchase a 1080 + I9 version.

7. vish120292

vish120292 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    do you know if there's a possibility to use a 3rd party screen since there is no 1080p 120hz option?

There is QHD 120Hz panel option but it costs more and that resolution seems too much for future gaming.

Also is GSync useful in a Laptop with GTX1070?

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Honestly the QHD panel is worth every penny. But yes, you can certanly upgrade the screen later on.

vish120292 likes this.
  9. vish120292

vish120292 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can the GTX1070 handle Games like pubg, COD, GTA V, Far Cry 5 in 1440p with 100+ fps?

I might consider the QHD panel if that's the case.

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Always depends on settings, but yeah. 1440p is also significantly more beautiful

Vasudev likes this.