Help me choose between these 2 external drives for backup

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I currently have a Toshiba, 1TB, 2.5 inch external HDD.

Was looking to upgrade to 3 or 4 TB.
    Since I'm in UK, my choices come down to this Toshiba Canvio II (3TB) :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HDT...=1444597910&sr=8-3&keywords=Toshiba+canvio+II

And this Samsung M3 :
    http://www.ebuyer.com/716960-samsung-m3-4tb-portable-external-hard-drive-hx-m401tcb-g

Some people on Amazon complained about early failure rates for the M3 (after 6 months or so) and various reviews stated that the random write speeds were really low - meaning abysmal speeds with transfer of small files.

Now, 4TB is hardly what I would call deal breaking, though it would be nice to have for storage, but I also require stability and durability (considering that my current Toshiba 1TB external drive is several years old and still works great).

Any recommendations in terms of external portable HDD's that are reliable and relatively fast, but also won't cost an arm and a leg?
    The Toshiba Canvio II seems very appealing, and in my price range - and 3TB should be enough for some time.
    Anyone used this drive yet?

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Buying one external HDD for a single copy of some/most of your data is kind of pointless if the data is important.

I would recommend an NAS (QNAP TS-231 or above) instead.

Portability or dependability. To me, it is an easy choice. ;)

3. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Or a microserver like my Hp Gen8... Get that and then build it up into a monster like I'm doing :) WIll cost around £110 for microsever after cashback...

http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/819185-421

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I dunno. I've been using some form of home built servers for the better part of ten years now and with proper backups and redundancy hasn't been an issue at all.

TomJGX likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Deks, I suggest 4TB Seagate-Samsung without any doubts.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Samsung M3 however has a problem with random read-write speeds... which makes transfers of small files very slow, plus the potential failure rate of these drives very early on is something of a concern since some people complained about this very problem.

The Toshiba Canvio II doesn't seem to have those issues (yet).

Other 4TB drives are in the range of £200 or £260, which is a bit much for me to spend at the moment.

Are there any other 4TB external portable drives coming out soon that might be cheaper and reliable in terms that they won't just fail after several months for no apparent reason?

NAS and microservers aren't an option.
    I want a portable hdd for a reason, so I can take it wherever I want in a pocket and that it doesn't take up a lot of space, or cost an arm and a leg.

8. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Deks, failure rates of a drive which just appeared on the market month or so ago, really? Could you please provide stats link, because I was going to buy the very same drive. =/

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I found a chart of hdd manufacturers whose drives apparently have a higer chance of failing. Toshiba had the lowest rate of incidence. I'll post the chart later today when I'm off work

10. Starlight5

Reputations:
    Deks, this data is irrelevant; some models are good, and some are bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.