Help me choose between MSI GE75 8RE and 8SF

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Aes85, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Aes85

Aes85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, ok so I'm asking you between these 2 models because the 8sf just became available here in Italy (almost 2500€ for the version with 1 tb ssd), but I've found an offer for 1500€ for the 8re with 256 gb ssd and 1tb hd.

I know the gtx 2070 is way more powerful, but I usually play CS GO and the latest games I have are rise of the tomb raider, batman arkham knight, mad max, but i'm planning to buy shadow of the tomb raider, resident evil 2, the witcher 3...is it the gtx 1060 fine to play for example a game like Anthem full hd only? I'm not planning to buy external monitors at the moment

Thank you very much!

2. Aes85

Reputations:
    Nobody?

3. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ive been researching since the release of the RTX series notebooks,

I originally was interested in the big gun, ALIENWARE AREA51M ( very cool) and the MSI TITANS, but was less
    than thrilled with the necessary TWO POWERBRICK requirements of these power hungry machines running
    their full size desktop CPUs.

The smaller ALIENWARE RTX models all had 60hz screens, this did not thrill me. I wanted higher refresh rates.

I looked at the new thin laptops, but they were using MAX Q to compensate for heat issues.

After that, I was contemplating between the ASUS STRIX 2 and the MSI Raider in 17" variations.. Comparable machines. A little thicker with good cooling, but for some reason couldnt get G-SYNC with either one.

I watched all the YOUTUBE vids, and read all the reviews and benchmarks.

Most reviewers felt the lack of G-SYNC was unnoticeable with a 144hz refresh machine, so I dropped Gsync as
    a requirement.

Tests and benchmarks were showing me that the RTX cards were running hot. But that the STRIX2 and Raider were doing decent jobs with the temps. But if there was to be thermal throttling at the GPU, it would be the RTX2080.
    So though I had considered the RTX2080, I dropped that from the list as well.

With the savings I gained from dropping the big card, I was able to put that cash towards faster SSD drives.
    Since I do video editing, I figured this would give me more bang for the buck.

As for heat issues, I decided to go with aftermarket thermal pastes and pads, ( THESE WERE ON SALE)

I did prefer the per key lighting on the MSI Raider ( the asus only lit segments of the keyboard), and reviewers seemed to like the keyboard better. Not the MECHANICAL click clacker keyboard of their TITAN model that
    the reviewers all enjoyed, but a chicklet style with decent key action.

I originally was going to buy from XOTIC PC out of Nebraska, where I had purchased my last two laptops,
    but everytime I submitted a question, it seemed to take at least two days to get an answer.
    So I tried a different retailer GENTECH PC out of California.

I bought my last laptop eight years ago. And did the same thing I am trying to do now. Spend the cash, and
    future proof myself for awhile. In the eight years Ive owned my SAGER, I think I only updated the ram,
    replaced a screen, and a fan or two.

Though the ASUS STRIX2 was coming out ahead slightly in some CPU benchmarks, ( even though its the same CPU) the MSI was doing better in the gaming department, so though the decision was close, I ordered the MSI RAIDER. And this is the configuration I chose. (Paying cash gets you 3 percent off.)

MSI GE75 Raider-049
    [CPU Coffee Lake 8th Gen:8th Gen Intel Coffee Lake Core i7-8750H, 2.6~4.1GHz 6 cores, 14nm, 9MB 45W]

[RAM:16GB DDR4 2666 MHz/PC4 21300 (8G X 2) Dual-Channel +$.01]

[PCIe SSD Slot 1:512GB Samsung 970 Pro V-NAND NVMe, Max Sequential Read Up to 3,500 MB/s + $169]
    [PCIe SSD Slot 2:512GB Samsung 970 Pro V-NAND NVMe, Max Sequential Read Up to 3,500 MB/s + $179]
    [Mechanical Hard Drive / 2.5" SSDs:1TB 7200rpm 2.5-inch 9.5mm 32MB SATA III 6Gb/s]

[2019 New Year Sale: 1:Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on CPU/GPU +$.01]
    [2019 New Year Sale: 2:Free 30 Day No Dead Pixel Warranty
    [2019 New Year Sale: 4:Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on necessary area for optimal cooling performance +$.01]

[[Screen:17.3" 1920x1080 LED Matte-Type, @144Hz 3ms anti-glare 100% sRGB, IPS-Level, 72% NTSC}
    [Screen Calibration: professional Screen Calibration+$45}
    [Minimize Screen Backlight Bleed:Screen backlight bleed checked and hand-picked for least backlight bleed +$95]

][Warranty:Free MSI 2 Year North America Limited Warranty / 1 Year Global Warranty]
    [Accidental Damage Warranty:First Year Accidental Damage Warranty]

[Free Gaming Bundle:Free Choice of Battlefield V, Anthem or Metro Exodus for RTX 2070 / RTX 2060]

Take note MSI has two year warranties, most others have one, as for free games, you get a choice of
    one of the three above, if you buy the RTX2080 you get all three.

The thing isnt cheap. ( Its coming in at just under $2900 US, which includes a $139 backback) But if I were on a tighter budget I wouldnt have a problem going with an RTX 2060.

But from what I have researched, it seems the RTX2070 is the sweet spot. It will play anything out there now, and whatever comes out for the next few years. Hope to see more RAY TRACING and DLSS titles that take advantage of the Turing tech,

Good luck with your decisions!

yurilobo likes this.
  4. Aes85

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I think that the Msi Ge75 8sf is the sweet spot, but the 8re is 1000€ less which is a lot of money.
    I just wanted to know if you think that the 1500€ price would be the lowest price ever for the 8re, and if spending 1000€ euro more for the RTX 2070 and 256gb more of hd is justified. Thank you

5. all9everything

all9everything Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    depends what you mean by full hd (you want 60 fps on ultra settings for anything you choose to play?)

do you play games strictly for the visual experience & aesthetic, or do you play them for the actual enjoyment of the game?

based on the games you rattled off you seem to like the visual experience & if you go with a lesser build you'll likely have limitations in how maxed you can run the graphics settings (moreso down the road)

if you're playing games like WOW/fortnite/COD/bf/fifa/ect i would say that you'd be fine with the cheaper option since that game lineup is more for the playing experience as opposed to the visual.

personally i would go with the cheaper option since its still a build that should get you roughly the same lifespan over the pricier version (just at a potential cost of graphic settings)

bryneb likes this.
  6. Aes85

Reputations:
    I'm seriously thinking about gettin the 8RE in the end cause I can buy it for 1500€ by paying in installments with 0 taxes (I'm in Italy). All9everything suggested me to get it too, but meanwhile the prices of the versions with gtx 1070/rtx 2060 and 2070 slightly dropped, but I would still need to spend atleast 600 euro more for those (they start at 2100€ for the gtx 1070 on amazon and the other sites I spotted those versions don't offer payment by installments).
    At the beginning of May I'm leaving the country too but I still need the italian keyboard layout! I'm rly confused about what to do :(

Do u think that for 1500€ (79 euro a month) the 8RE is a bargain and that I have to quickly get it or I should add the 600 euros more and try to get the 8RF, 8SE or 8SF? Or I should wait for the 9th gen i7?

About the gaming, I'm rly into CS:GO, TF2 and I'd like to start playing PUBG, but I have Rise of the TOmb raider, Batman ARkham Knight on Steam and I want to play Shadow of the tomb raider, assassin's creed odyssey, Resident evil 2 and maybe anthem.

Anyways I would use the laptop mostly for audio/video editing with premiere, photoshop, Fhd movie Streaming, Office and browsing with multiple tabs open.

7. Aes85

Reputations:
    I just want to know if the 144hz is an overkill for the gtx 1060. thank you.

8. Aes85

Reputations:
    Nobody?

9. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For that price difference, definitely go for the 2060. It will be adequate, and you can utilize your 144hz screen if you turn down some settings in competitive shooters, and I doubt you need more that 60 fps in other games.

10. yurilobo

yurilobo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m also confused about so many options out there. Just out of curiosity, when do you think that Intel will release their i7 9th gen ?

I didn’t know about that. Maybe I should wait for it too