Help me choose a laptop.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by kolelt, Oct 6, 2019.

1. kolelt

kolelt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So today I purchased a MSI GS75 with rtx2070 max q card. After getting home I was doing little research and found out that the rtx2070 none max q is much faster. So now I am second guessing my purchase. I haven’t opened the box yet so I can easily return it. I came across a HP laptop with identical specs but with a rtx2070 none max q version and much much cheaper. What would you guys recommend ? Should I just keep the msi with rtx2070 max q ? Or opt out and find a laptop without max q? Are the performance difference significant ?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-17...with-gold-diamond-cut/6343296.p?skuId=6343296

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-...aluminum-shadow-black/6359957.p?skuId=6359957

2. kolelt

Reputations:
  3. kolelt

Reputations:
    Bump

4. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At least looking at the specs, both HP's look like much better deals -- enough so that I'd wonder what's going on.

The one big thing the MSI has is a 1TB SSD, but if you want to replace the HDD with an SSD later, 1TB SSDs are down in the $100 range. The MSI is considerably thinner and lighter than the HP machines, which from a performance standpoint isn't a good thing for the MSI but which may be why the MSI is so much more expensive.

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The new HP omen looks pretty nice. It would have worse battery life than the GS75 as the onboard graphics is disabled for GSync support. Since the motherboard is not flipped it would also be easier to upgrade storage / RAM / do a repaste if needed. I can't quite tell for sure but it appears that the Omen doesn't have any Killer wifi/ethernet so that is a plus that you don't have to fight with their software. The cooling system doesn't look quite as robust as the MSI, so I am not sure how comfortable it would be with the 150W RTX 2080, but if I had to guess the RTX 2070 would be fine, especially with a repaste and some undervolting.

6. kolelt

Reputations:
    Except the rtx 2070 max-q and not the regular rtx 2070 on the MSI. I think I’m going to return the MSI and order the HP. Same specs but with much better graphics card and less money.