help me buy a fast laptop - advice needed

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Jack Honeycutt, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Jack Honeycutt

Jack Honeycutt Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks...

I am in the market for a laptop. I have tried to answer all the question posted at the beginning of this forum:

1) My budget is up to $2,500

2) I would like a 17 inch screen, but could go down as small as a 15 inch screen.

3) I live and would buy a laptop in the US.

4) I have no specific brands I like or dislike

5) I would not like a refurbished laptop.

6) gaming, Second Life, Libre Office, I prefer a really fast GPU and CPU.

7) I rarely travel anymore. If I do, it is short trips. 95% of the time I would use the laptop at home.

8) some games, but mostly Second Life, I prefer a very fast GPU and CPU

9) I do not need a long battery life. 95% of the time the laptop will be at my home.

10) I can buy a laptop on line with out seeing it in person.

11) Windows 10, and I hope it can upgrade to Windows 11

12) I would like 3K/4K (3200x1800, 3840x2160 . I would like an OLED screen

13) OLED screen ,maybe matt, but either is fine as long as the screen is OLED

14) Looks and style are not as important to me as performance. I prefer performance and I do not care what it looks like.

15) I would like 1 TB or perhaps 2 TB (SSD - I like Samsung SS drives)

16) with in the next 3 months

17) I would like to get maybe 5 years out of it - I hope to upgrade it to Windows 11.

18) I have a desktop computer I use, so if the laptop were to fail, I have a back up
    computer. So the laptop can fail for a long time. I would prefer to fix it myself if possible.

19) I would not buy an extended warranty. I can ship the laptop off for repair, but I prefer to do my own repairs if possible.

Notes:

I have built almost all my own desktop computers from scratch since about the mid 1990s.

I looked at the "build your own" laptop from Framework, but I did not like the soldered in CPU/GPU, and do they not offer a DVD or 4K Ultra DVD drive? It seemed overpriced to me. But I do like the idea of being able to take a laptop apart easily.

I have repaired countless laptops for my self and friends. Usually the CPU/GPU heat sink starts to separate and the laptop overheats. That is the most common problem I see. Some laptops are easier to open up than others.

I would prefer a laptop that I can take apart and get into if need be.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am not at all up to speed on laptops, so I could really use any and all advice.

All the best,

mraroid

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You might consider the Thinkpad T15g Gen 2. They have a configuration (20YS0021US) with OLED, 11th Gen Xeon, and a 110W RTX 3080 for $2669 if you use the ticketsatwork login. I have the version of it with a FHD screen and its a decent machine. The stock paste job is not great and there is no guarantee on what brand or quality of RAM / SSD it ships with.

There are other consumer models out there with OLED panels (Gigabyte Aero is one I recall) so feel free to look at other options.

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would focus on the guts of the machine since you can upgrade the screen yourself for ~$150 and 15 minutes of time.

CPU/GPU should be the priority since you can't swap those out unless you go with specialized laptops that allow you to do that w/ MXM modules.

Don't worry about the storage as you can get a better deal on drives outside of the OEM pricing and add them yourself.

For servicing most mid-high range laptops are easy to work on compared to the ones that use glues instead of screws to save money.

Optical drives take up too much space for slimmer laptops which is why you don't see them much anymore. Get an external if it's a must have for $50-$100.

If you don't need the prestige of marketing by name then look into Clevo / Sager as you pay less for the marketing and get the power you want.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is going to entirely depend on what laptop you're talking about and the skill level of the person doing it. I generally know my way around laptops and replaced the screen in one of my older MSI machines. It was supposedly one of the easier models to do the job on but it still took some time and even being as careful as possible, the final appearance didn't look factory. I really would not recommend this unless you really, really know what you're doing.

OP, this laptop is not OLED but otherwise hits everything else on your wishlist.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168342...cm_re=gigabyte_aero 17-_-34-233-448-_-Product

5. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think OP can do it just fine based on these statements.

6. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30837
    Spec it how you want, the sky is the limit....seriously.
    I'd get it with no drives or memory and put my own in.
    Virtually any CPU and GPU are there for you.
    It is the crem de la crem (sp?) of laptops.
    You can even get a dual 330 watt power supply for it so 660 watts for the crazy setups.
    RJ Tech is good to go, it's where I got the lappy I'm typing on from.

7. Jack Honeycutt

Jack Honeycutt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks everyone for the time and effort to post some guidelines and help for me as I try to figure out what laptop to buy.

I have the last of the 1080p 16:9 aspect ratios CTR TVs made (Sony). It produces pure black and pure white. The only thing that can come close to it is OLED. I have a newer OLED TV and love the picture quality.

I believe I am stuck with wanting an OLED screen. This greatly limits my laptop search. I appreciate the info on buying a non OLED laptop and then swapping it out for one. But I think I am going to pass on that idea.

win32asmguy's referral to the 20YS0021US is looking good to me at the moment. If I buy it without the i9 processor, it is sort of in my price range. But for over 2 thousand I thought I could buy a faster processor than the i7-11800H Processor (2.30 GHz). The i9 processor pushes the price to over 3 thousand.

I am still unsure if Lenovo would let me buy it without an OS, a drive or memory. I would prefer to install my own SS drive, buy Windows 10 Pro and buy my own memory. I will have to call them and ask.

Regarding the screen, the specs say:

Display : 15.6" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, HDR 400, 600 nits
    So I am guessing this is the OLED screen?

With little to no add ons, the price is still almost $2900.00:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...™ i7;710:NVIDIA RTX™;701:4K UHD (3840 x 2160)

I have yet to do so, but I thought I would go to Amazon and search for laptops with an OLED screen.
    I shoot film (as opposed to digital) and I prefer the look of an OLED screen. It is not for everyone. It is just me and my quirkish.

Any suggestions or additional help appreciated.

Thanks so much for the referral to Lenovo. I never would have found that laptop without help.

mraroid

8. Jack Honeycutt

Jack Honeycutt Newbie

Reputations:
  9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Be sure and double-check the config as Lenovo offers both IPS and OLED UHD panels. The only config I saw on their site that is OLED right now is the one I linked earlier, 20YS0021US. Eventually they should have the T15g Gen 2 available as configurable to order - so you could then get it with minimal memory and SSD.

I would not worry about 11800H vs 11950H. You may get slightly more single core performance but for multicore it takes a very well built cooling system, good thermal paste job, high power limits, and no bios/ec throttling for there to be a difference.

Here is also a link to the Gigabyte Aero that you might also consider. It is a consumer model so the build quality may be a bit worse, but there should be reviews out there to help you decide if it is ok.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233444