HELP!! Keyboard on P957HR died.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by anytimer, Jul 18, 2018.

1. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    After just 6 months of very light usage, the keyboard on my EUROCOM Q5 (P957HR) has gone bad. The following keys don't work:
    0, =
    r, y
    g, k
    left and right arrows
    1, 3 on the numeric keypad
    (there may be more)

Eurocom support says I need a new keyboard. Advance RMA, which means I pay for it (USD$140) and get the refund when I ship the bad one back. USD$100 shipping to be paid to Eurocom - I suppose I'll have to bear the cost of the return as well. Add USD$20 or so bank charges. Customs duty unknown.

Could the friendly folk here please suggest alternatives? The keyboard was not very good to begin with, it failed within six months, and I'm loath to spend this much to get another one that could be just as bad.

Is there any other keyboard that could be fitted in this? I'm willing to downgrade to monochrome backlight. Even no backlight at all. Also willing to do a spot of filing, drilling and gluing. Someone mentioned SteelSeries ...

The part number for the keyboard is 6-80-N8500-010-1

EDIT: Just heard from Eurocom support. They confirm that I will have to pay the shipping when I return the bad keyboard.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention - I'm located in India.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    anytimer likes this.
  3. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd say try to find it on ebay probably 20 bucks and do it yourself

anytimer likes this.
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I tried looking on ebay, impossible task.

anytimer likes this.
  5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's a difficult keyboard to come by outside of resellers inventory at the moment. If you can source it from a seller within your region, that would be ideal.

anytimer likes this.
  6. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    According to Eurocom's terms and conditons (link) they will replace a defective keyboard within the first year of warranty providing that you didn't break it yourself.

I found these keyboards on Aliexpress that will work with your model, but they aren't in English: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FR-...9437988&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

I also found these two keyboards on Taobao which seem to be an exact match (site is in chinese):
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...SELu7&id=567566403479&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...SELu7&id=567272296519&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail

more listings:
    https://s.taobao.com/search?q=p950+...r&ssid=s5-e&search_type=item&sourceId=tb.item

anytimer likes this.
  7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What place on earth is remote enough that you have to pay $100 to ship a keyboard to the US? Eurocom should pay for the shipping of replacement keyboard to you - it's in their terms and conditions. Why do you need to return the defective keyboard to them? Can't you just make a video showing that it's defective?

anytimer likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Normal warranty shipping coverage would be for continental US only unless the seller offers an upgrade. Usually the entire machine is requested back to ensure the machine is fully repaired.

Say it was liquid damage to the connector or the person does not correctly insert it, they will blame the company.

9. anytimer

Reputations:
    No damage, no spillage ... this laptop has been treated with loving care. Sparingly used - I don't type much. My previous laptop lasted 7 years, so I do know how to look after stuff.

Thanks for helping me find alternate sources for this. Does anyone know the difference, if any, between 6-80-N8500-010-1 and 6-80-N8500-011-1 ?

This is looking the best so far:
    https://www.yoycart.com/Product/567566403479/#

Also, is there any other keyboard that could be fitted in this? Is this a standard keyboard for 15.6"? If I get one from, say, Lenovo or Acer, will it even work? I'm willing to downgrade to monochrome backlight. Even no backlight at all. Also willing to do a spot of filing, drilling and gluing. I have a Dremel 4000, digital multimeter, soldering station, etc.

10. anytimer

Reputations:
    UPDATE: It is definitely a problem with the ribbon cable/ connector. If I slowly tilt the keyboard upwards (after removing the screws and popping the catches, of course) and hold it at an angle of about 35 degrees the defective keys start working again. Probably a hairline crack where there is a sharp fold in the ribbon.