Help! I bricked my G73 with vBIOS

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Quagmire LXIX, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eazy_e

eazy_e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    all you need is teh tools i posted in a thread recently..

step1) downloadmy tools
    step2) download ziddys original vbios
    step3) boot in dos
    step4) type nvflash "ziddys bios name" hit y after
    step5) waitt and see if it works I did the same thing with my g71...its scary stuff eh

2. Quagmire LXIX

Quagmire LXIX Have Laptop, Will Travel!

Reputations:
    Hi eazy e, it's step 3 that is the problem. We can't tell if we are getting to a DOS boot, but as another approach, what are the "my tools" you speak of?

Thanks.

3. freedom16

freedom16 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Man if it an't fix then don't break it sheesh so mad at you, where will your videos and extensive guides go to now lol. This is the fourth time this has happened to you! Man this machine just isn't reliable as i thought it was, look what happened to me, try to repaste it so the temps can get better and it gets fried won't boot!! Just RMA it and don't say anything about that, this is why i invest my money in having a second and even third gaming comp. Now not trying to be a naysayer either but sometimes playing around with these things too much will cost it to be dead. I hope you have a powerful desktop. But like USMC said each comp has its mind of its own.

4. hakira

hakira <3 xkcd

Reputations:
    Might sound dumb, but have you tried removing a stick or 2 of RAM and booting then?

5. Quagmire LXIX

Reputations:
    After spending a couple more hours with premudriy on skype, we (he) went through many attempts to get a cd to autoexe with several switches to try and get around the blind spot, but no luck.

The VGA just acts dead, no light on the screen, no gpu fan running, like it's not even there.

We can turn the NumLock and CapsLock lights on and off though, so it doesn't seem to be freezing.

I'm not into lying to Asus and hoping for the best, I believe I will be upfront so I'm not wasting theirs or my time and deal with it. It may cost me a new card, idk.
    Maybe I'll get lucky and can get a tech that has seen a corrupt vBIOS do this before and can tell me what is happening in the dark.

Wish me luck and thanks to everyone. I prob won't send it in (if I have to) right away, so if you have any life lines to throw, I'll be here at the bottom of the well waiting to get hit in the head by one :)

Again, major props to premudriy and everyone's help. Thank you.

Q

6. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Try this:
    1: keep the HDD out and remove the USB flash disk

2: put the CD/DVD back and use bootable CD instead

3: turn on the computer and press "ESC" key immediately for 2~3 times (once is good enough but in case you missed)

4: that should bring up the "select boot device screen", at this point, CD/DVD should be the only option since HDD and USB Flash disk was removed.

5: Press Enter key to see if CD drive starts to read the disk.

7. Quagmire LXIX

Reputations:
    I must have missed this post :), sorry.

Me too. I pulled it using RBE/WinFlash, made a couple copies, reopened and edited the 3D clock voltage to 1.05 and reflashed. The progress bar took, idk, around 7-10 seconds to get 3/4 of the way and then a small plain white popup box said "Fail".

First crash of any type since my gpu was replaced and everything working sweet. It got mixed up a little in a personal conversation, but I remember being froze because my only choice was to hold down PB for a few seconds (familiar). Coming back on, darkness.

I even shut down a few back apps that I don't when I install a game, just to avoid a crash. Warning heeded too late, but lesson learned for first unsuccessful winflash.

Totally not Asus's or ATi's fault here folks, let's fault me as I fired the gun. Anybody ever see a small white popup saying fail, maybe with punctuation, I could guess around 120-140 pixels square?

I'll keep the board informed, thanks.

Q

8. Quagmire LXIX

Reputations:
    Thank you Ken, but we've done it.
    From the very beginning premudriy and I have been under the impression that #4 would be the case. So many usb attempts with that very same logical structure by myself with NBR help. More usb and several bootable cd iso's later with premudriy doing a killer job to see if we can speak in the dark. We aren't sure that #4 is the case or that it is asking a question I can't see getting stuck in #3.
    Early on I thought it was some kind of vga dos error keeping me from #4, but when I was told F1 would pass that, I hoped that pre step would be the answer, but it was well worked.

I'm still trying out the cd's. Everything from you is outstanding Ken, I'm all ears and thanks.

Q

9. eazy_e

eazy_e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Q:

If you cant navigate your bios screen, you are out of luck.

all you can do is remove ram sticks (hopefully one works) and try to get the bios screen up.

10. Quagmire LXIX

Reputations:
    you know we're doing vBIOS right? sounds like you're thinking system BIOS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.