1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Help! High GPU temps GTX 260M

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by arnoldvsthegooch, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnoldvsthegooch

arnoldvsthegooch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a G72GX-RBBX05 (Best Buy model). I just got Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Awesome game, runs great except my gpu temps are hitting 91-94 degrees. This is without overclocking. I have never had temps this high before and I don't want to melt my gpu. I'm currently using this driver:

NVIDIA Geforce/Ion/Quadro 198.05 WHQL Drivers (MS Update)

Could it be only this game that loads my gpu? I'm thinking about getting a Cryo NXVT cooler, how much would it cool it down? Suggestions?

PS - I've opened up the bottom and cleaned out the little dust that was in there.

2. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    If you've cleaned the vents, a cooler is the next step. If your warranty is up, consider changing the thermal paste.

3. souvak

souvak Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The GPU isn't going to melt. I wouldn't worry too much. You should get yourself a cooler though. You'll probably see 5-10 C decrease. I don't know which cooler to suggest though because i'm not familiar with that laptop. Hopefully someone will help you with that.

4. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Try propping the laptop up in the back a little before investing in a cooler to see if it helps with temps.

5. xeroxide

xeroxide Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    check the vents and fans for dust, probably some clogging it especially if it never was this hot before and is only a recent thing.
    when you checked for dust, did you check inbetween the fan and the heatsink, it's usually covered by a plastic tube to create a wind tunnel.
    at those temps for a 260m i would be worried, it's way too hot.

i would also consider reseating the heatsink and applying new thermal paste.

6. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    As others mentioned, keep your machine cleaned and also get a cooler. Remember that ambience temps do factor in greatly to your overall temp. My machine always ran from 85C to 93C or so, but right now during summer I get temps around 99 and even 100C.

The GPU can hold up to 105C where it will auto downclock to avoid damage. Any further temp and it will result in auto shut down.

7. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
  8. bobbyp

bobbyp Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    try the newest driver for one. My temps dropped and also replacign my thermal paste it doesnt go over 86 degrees C.

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    You're safe below 120 something degrees.

As far as drivers go, there's no reason to not try out Nvidia's direct WHQL, 258.96.

10. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    Most people consider 105C the highest safe temperature.