Help for m.2 power for SSD cooling solution

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Jun 8, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just saw this request for help in another thread, and I thought it might need more visibility for a solution:

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @David Parushev - did you check the fans to confirm they function when attached to a different power source already? If not, maybe it is not the adapter.

Is this exactly what you purchased? If so, are you sure it is designed to pull power from M.2 slot? I am wondering if maybe the portion of the kit installed in your system is only there for carrying a PCI-e signal if you are only using part of the kit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CEW...der-Riser-Board-Adapter-with/32830941240.html

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Starlight5, KY_BULLET and hmscott like this.
  3. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You don't necessarily need this much cooling, but if you want it, then make sure the fans are connected to a power source that is powered

4. p0och

p0och Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm confused - so it seems you already have a m2 slot.

You need to know ifthat m2 slot is pcie based or SATA - if its PCIE based - then you can proabbly get this to work but why ? because if it's alread pcie based you can stick the ssd directly into the slot. the riser was meant for a eGPU

If the slot only supports SATA - nothing you buy will allow you to use a nvme ssd instead as this is a hardwired component.

i suppose you can use the m2 slot that your wifi card is on because that's definitely a pcie bus slot but probably a single lane version which would allow you to use nvme drives but performance is probably going tobe worse than a SATA 3 SSD.

Plus u willl also one of those PCIe adaptor boards to mount on your riser to then mount your nvme...

actually what was the original plan here captain?