[HELP]Dead Alienware 17 (2013) by EVGA Percision X GPU Tool[REQUEST]

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by capo245, May 6, 2018.

1. capo245

capo245 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    i have a bricked/ dead alienware 17 from 2013/2014.
    The maschine worked fine and i head a modded bios installed for
    hackintosh and overclock(4700mq at 4x 3,4ghz).
    I had it once bricked but got it working again i dont know how i fixed it
    but after that it worked perfect again that was 3 years ago.
    Since i have a pretty weak gfx card(nvidia 765m) and the oc cpu worked perfect
    for over 3 years i wanted to give the gpu a bit of a performance boost.
    One of those tools that gets recommended every where is EVGA Precision x (even over the official
    nvidia inspector tool but to that later). I ve tried a few settings in Nvidia Inspector undervoltet the card a bit so the the max voltage will be the same as the factory max voltage and boostet the clock
    s by 50 mhz and it gave a good performance boost card was super cool everything worked fine.
    Then i tried evga precision x and boosted with the same settings, everything worked fine.
    But when i shutdown the laptop and tried to boot it again the next day it beeped only 7 times and stopped at the post. Someone had the sometrouble and fixed this by connecting the laptop to a hdmi monitor and reflashing the edid. So i try the hdmi method which didnt work. Then i went to the Electrical engineers at my university to get help and they ment that its brocken cant do nothing buy a new, so i showed them the thread with the fix. So they dissambled the laptop (broke a cable which connects keyboard to sth else), and now it doesnt even beep anymore.
    Since i had the laptop already bricked to the point where it didnt beep and got it working again back 3 years ago i think rhere is still hope,
    i would ask for help if there is a way to revive it again since i dont have money for a new one, and i need it for the university.
    [EDIT] The laptop doesnt enter post, nor beep, nor boot or fan spin it does nothing when the powerbutton is pressed.
    Thanks a lot for your time and thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am completely confused as to wheter or not your notebooks works or not. It doesn't beep anymore but I'm unsure as to how it behaves right now or if it boots but something doesn't work.

So to makes things erasier, lets start asking how does your notebook behave right now, does it boot? If it does whats the problem, if it doesn't what does it do? (fan spinning, which lights turn on which don't etc.)

3. capo245

Reputations:
    It doesnt even enter post, nor boot up nor does the fan spin.
    I had the same problem also 3 years ago but without the 7 beeps(just bricked and didnt even enter post) and a few weeks later i got the laptop fixed and it worked again perfectly.
    The problem is i dont know anymore how i repaired it exactly and what made it work again.
    If anyone needs pictures of the motherboard etc i can upload them any time.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Uploading those pictures would help.

If trying to boot the notebook, does the green light in the power supply turn off?

5. capo245

Reputations:
    Ok i will upload the picture as fast as i can, is there any area i should take as much picture as possible off?
    Yes the powerbrick light turns green.

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    I asked if if you attempt to start the notebook while the PSU is plugged it in the green light dissapears or not.

7. capo245

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I dont have any screwdrivers at the moment so i can dissassemble the laptop completly,
    but as soon as i have the right screwdriver i will completly disassemly the laptop and make a complete picture of the board.

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Well your notebook doesn't short the PSU which is a very good sign. I assume your ribbon cable of the powerbutton might not be connected properly. Someone here had this exact same issue.

KY_BULLET and capo245 like this.
  9. capo245

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your help, so as i understand i now should disassmble the whole laptop. Fix the powerbutton ribbon cable and then look if the laptop then hopefully will start to beep again. Do i need to put the complete laptop back together to see if the power button works or can i just test it half opend(no cpu or gpu inserted).

10. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Normally it would be enough but Alienware notebooks are kinda fickle, I would just to be safe assemble the whole thing together.