Help Choosing Between These Business/Workstation Laptops For Programming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by joestar, Dec 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM.

1. joestar

joestar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I plan to get 15.6 inch laptop for daily use.
    I'll use it for standard web + mobile programming in Windows with VMs.

My other requirements are:
    - Durability
    - Decent Linux support, as I want to install it in separate drive.
    - Dedicated GPU / Thunderbolt 3 support.
    I want to learn 2D game development in Unity but I don't plan to play other game in this laptop.
    - Non Ultrabook processors as it is more future proof

Based on the requirement above I'm considering the following notebooks :
    - Dell Precision M3530 with i7 8850H and Quadro P600.
    Model in my country doesn't seem to have optional TB3. There are very few reviews / comments about this laptop in internet.
    - Thinkpad P52 with i7 8750H and Quadro P1000
    I like the user-removable battery and the build quality seems great.
    - Thinkpad X1 Extreme with i7 8750H / i5 8300H and 1050Ti
    I like the keyboard layout without numpad, and it has good GPU. Although it got great reviews, I am not sure about its heat and fan noise as it looks very thin.

The reasons I choose those laptops are because they are available in online retailer in my country (Indonesia), Ubuntu certified and I live in small town.

Other things:
    - I don't know if Precision M3530 has user-replaceable battery like Thinkpad P or T. Can anyone confirm this?
    - P52 and X1 Extreme have some BIOS issues at the moment which can make them bricked. I expect those will be resolved soon though.
    - For P52 or X1 Extreme, I can only afford it from retailer who imports from Singapore, so the warranty will be useless for me. However there is Lenovo service center in nearby city. X1 Extreme itself hasn't been released here.
    - Precision M3530 is the cheapest among those 3 but the others 2 have better review in notebookcheck.

Thanks !

==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Less than 2400 usd, the price here is more expensive than US
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15.6 inch
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Indonesia
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo, Dell workstation/business notebooks
    b. Dislike: Acer
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No, as it is hard / unreliable to get it here. Ebay is not an option as import tax + delivery cost is high
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Full day programming.
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I am a remote programmer and I guard small shop as well.
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No, I have PC at home for gaming / entertainment.
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    More is better. Which is why I prefer removable battery in the long term.
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online. I won't be able to see it myself.
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10 + Ubuntu

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesn't matter as long as it is not dim, as I do web development.

Build Quality and Design
    14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No, build quality is more important. If possible, no gaming looks

Notebook Components
    15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    2 x 512 GB. Will buy it later

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Soon
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    4+ years.
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Can't answer but I'll probably use old laptop in that time
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Warranty is better but to be realistic I probably won't have it.

==========

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 8:38 PM
  2. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't have any advice, but I saw that you mentioned the i7-8750H. That's what I have in my GP73 and, though i've only had it for a few days, I'm really impressed by it's ability in web development type environment. Just last night I was working with data pulled with SQL and writing a Node script to compile it into a CSV. I've also ran Postman, FTP, Ubuntu VM, etc. It's snappy and compiles really fast. I'm in love!

Ultra Male likes this.
  3. joestar

joestar Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your info, BrickPlane !
    Glad to hear it, i7 8750H looks good in benchmarks and I have no doubt it will be way better than my old ultrabook processor.

4. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    https://originpc.asia/id/Configuration/EON15-X
    or
    if you can import from singapore, why not p750tm from clevo?
    https://www.aftershockpc.com/welcome/ProductconfigRec/w15-lite
    https://www.level51pc.co/welcome/Productinner/w15lite
    8700 performs better./equal to 8850h (you can check it here ) and it has gtx1060 which is far bettr than the rest. also you could upgrade it to 9th gen CPU like 9900K(check comparison here) too in future for ultimate performance,not to mention it support up to 3000mhz ram and Storage in raid 0 mode and.....if the performance power is for 4-5 years is your purpose too.

5. joestar

joestar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi amirbahalegharn,
    I won't import it myself but I plan to get it from a Batam retailer ( https://www.tokopedia.com/gadgetbatam/thinkpad-p52-mobile-workstation-core-i7 ).
    I don't mind if I don't have warranty, but I want more known brand with service center in my nearby city.
    There is other "gaming" brand with workstation type, MSI WE63, but I didn't see a lot of review so I am not sure about its durability compared to business notebooks ( Thinkpad, Precision, Latitude).

6. amirbahalegharn

Reputations:
    from the same link/site , can't you buy this one(and upgrade/swap cpu later with 8700k/8086k/9700k/9900k with bios flash ONLY):
    https://www.tokopedia.com/onyxs/cle...=6_catid=289&lt=/searchproduct - p2 - product

7. joestar

joestar Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks amirbahalegharn.
    I don't think Clevo has service center in my nearby city ( Malang ) or probably even Indonesia.
    Personally I prefer business laptop as they usually have more battery power. I had old Toshiba Qosmio F750 , and I always plugged it to power .

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

Based on what you wrote, these are I think the best options for your: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

- Lenovo P52 is excellent value for a business laptop, but it suffers from a poor cooling design so I wouldn't recommend it
    - Lenovo P1/X1 Extreme , same laptop just different video card, it's a very good machine. It's main issue is that it throttles under combined CPU+GPU heavy load, but I don't think you will ever use it in such a scenario.
    - MSI Prestige series, while generally aimed at the business users, it's no different from the GS series, so not business grade
    - Dell Precision 7530, the best 15-inch laptop on the market when it comes to building quality and reliability. It also has an MXM video card, meaning you can replace/upgrade aftermarket.
    - Dell 3530 is also a decent laptop. It is the cheaper version of the 7530. If you want to save some money and you think the P600 is enough for you, then I would recommend this one first.
    - Finally, it's the Clevo laptops, just like the @amirbahalegharn mentioned, but the problem with them is that the desktop processor is usually throttling in this machines and not supplying the performance it should be due to various BIOS limitations and poor cooling. To get a Clevo with a desktop processor to work well, you would need to buy it with Prema BIOS and replace the thermal paste on the processor with liquid metal.

So in my view, you should choose between the Lenovo X1/P1, Dell 3530 and Dell 7530. I would lean more towards the 3530 in your case since you don't seem to be heavy on the 3D part.

joestar likes this.
  9. amirbahalegharn

Reputations:
    but undervolting(no harm as it's software) +repasting which if you google & youtube search,you will find plenty resources on how to this (and sometimes deliding with super easy tool that has been made already) could get your temps down by 10-25"C easily. even if you do get other laptops,UV is a must (+repaste is recommended as well) to do for better efficiency. but as you are asking for nearby hardware-parts in Indonesia,clevo maybe not right for you.

joestar likes this.
  10. joestar

joestar Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks all for your reply !
    @Blacky, I didn't know about noteb.com before, but it is informative.