Help choosing a thin & light gaming notebook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by wtferrell, Jul 22, 2019.

1. wtferrell

wtferrell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm coming from an Asus RoG GL502VS, which I thought at the time was going to be relatively slim. The pics online were deceiving, so it was quite a bit thicker than what I was thinking it was going to be. But that "size", length and width would be alright, just not the thickness. So it looks like now, the Razer 17 would be almost the exact same dimensions, except half and inch thinner. That would be great. Or I'm open to a 15". The laptop I had my eyes on was the AERO 15, but I've been reading some heating issues, etc. One thing that kills me is constant fan noise, coming from this GL502VS. I'm open to suggestions.

Really trying to decide between something with a 2080, 2080Max q, and 2070. I want great performance if I'm spending $3000+. Right now my 1070 is just running crazily hot.

Help!

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$3500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: AERO, potentially Razer
    b. Dislike: Alienware, just not a fan of the design and logo, needs to look a bit more professional
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming while in bed or on the road
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, generally sports games, but also Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, etc
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4+ would be ideal
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online is ok. If I can see them beforehand, then that's great too.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080P to 4k
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Either
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, want one with a high build quality. Love the Macbooks unibody construction
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1TB plus preferably
    Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Next 2 weeks
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3+ years ideally
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    a few weeks
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I would be willing to pay extra for onsite warranty, but not significantly extra.