1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HELP ! Cannot get out of projector mode

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by Alienowner, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Alienowner

Alienowner Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Dear forum,

I was trying to hook up my M11xR2 to an iMac through an HDMI-Mini display port adapter. I wasn't getting any success, so I tried the (Windows button-P) to switch to projector only mode.

Now my screen is black and I cannot get it back. I tried restarting my laptop but my screen is still black. I can logon to my account (I hear the logon sound from speakers) but I can still not see anything on the screen.

Can you please help me? I've never encountered something like this in my 15+ year PC experience.

2. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    Have you tried fn+f1?

3. Alienowner

Alienowner Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep, I had tried that, and it didn't work, but crisis averted. One of my colleagues had an HDMI cable, I hooked my laptop up with the LCD in the break room, and was able to get of projector mode that way.

That's scary stuff, like I said, I am an average computer geek and nothing I have tried other than plugging it to a separate display worked. So do not change your laptop to a projector only mode unless you do have a projector lying around somewhere :)

4. amd098

amd098 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do windows key p, then right arrow enter
    repeat until you get the display you want, thats what i do when a device doesnt know i unplugged the projector/monitor