Help a clueless consumer choose a laptop.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by YitzPC, May 29, 2017.

1. YitzPC

YitzPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, Im looking for a laptop for light (maybe overwatch) gaming, lots of documenting, graphic design (nothing too crazy), movie watching and music listening.
    My budget is around 1000$ so I was looking at the Asus strix gl553 and the Dell Inspiron 15 7567.
    Pretty much want solid screen and speakers and consistent performance.
    Open to all options and opinions.

I heard the gl553 crashes after 3 months not sure if thats been fixed or not and I heard the quality build of dells are shaky at best so if someone can shed light on these two or indroduce a better option for the price range I'd be grateful. Thank you.

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    The Dell is great, but make sure to buy the IPS display upgrade. That display is good the stock one though is poor.

3. YitzPC

YitzPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Theres a model with the IPS or i need to switch?

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    There is a model. Look on Dells site.

5. YitzPC

YitzPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you know if they are easily upgradeable alone? HD and RAM? It says up to 32gb ram but under hard drive it doesnt say upgradable. Wondering if in the fiture I want to add some ssd if its a simple task or not.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure where you've heard that but it's a big load of bollocks.

The GL553 has a very good IPS screen for this class of machine as well as, what I believe to be, the best sub-1100$ laptop keyboard you can buy on a gaming machine. The downsides are a bit of display flex on the back panel (means you have to be gentle when opening the lid and not pull on it like a tractor cord) and a smaller battery.

The Dell 7567 is the BEST BUILT device of ANY sub-1100$ machine on the market intended to be used for gaming. Period. Build quality is stellar but the screen is not great. The IPS model is good for gaming though colour accuracy is poor and it's not good for professional use or digital art. The Dell 7567 also has a large 6-cell 74Wh battery that lasts for over 7 hours of internet browsing.

Really, you can't go wrong with either one

7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Both are upgradeable - the Dell 7567 has a single screw on the bottom while the Asus GL553 has several. Both have 1 M.2 SSD slot and 1 2.5" drive bay.

8. YitzPC

YitzPC Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. Now looking at prices and specs in my country is kind of strange.
    I see an asus zenbook which seems cool but with an intel gfx card which i think i can live with but its the same price as those mentioned above. Otherwise similar specs is it higher quality or something?
    2 more questions sorry :oops:. 1: the difference between GL553VD and GL553VW? on the site I used ther both have same specs so im just confused..
    2: Difference between GTX 1050 and GTX 1050m. Thanks again.

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    1 - ZenBook 13" devices are not remotely as powerful as a gaming laptop, even an entry level one. They usually use dual-core ULV CPUs (ignore i5/i7 branding - that's just for marketing). They are made for general productivity and portability. They are not intended for any demanding tasks
    2 - GL553VW is the old model with the weaker 960M. I suggest you ignore this one> Go for the GL553VE or GL553VD if you are buying this model.
    3 - 1050M doesn't exist. The 1050, 1050 Ti, 1060, 1070 and 1080 mobile GPUs are the EXACT same as their desktop counterparts. Anyone claiming it's a "1050m" is lying or not reading the spec sheet properly.

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

These are all currently available gaming laptops for around $1000: noteb.com search results.
    You can change the results using the "Refine results" button. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

I am with @don_svetlio on this with the Dell 7567. However, the best screen for colour accuracy you find in Asus laptops and the GL553 is not exception with 90% sRGB according to reviews.

don_svetlio likes this.