Hello and my AW 13r3, naked pics inside, NSFG

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by forbyefor_gold_eagle, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Drinky

Drinky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, I will try to explain it so it makes sense.

Intel makes cpu’s. These cpu’s are made on a wafer (a silicon circle). They can produce many cpus on this one wafer, but the chips won’t all be the same because of technological limits. The chips on the outside of the wafer will be of lower quality. They will still work and produce good results, but need more power to reach them. It’s impossible for intel to test every cpu and apply the core voltage to it which is the lowest stable voltage, so instead they find a voltage that works for ALL CPUs no matter the quality.

This means that if you have a chip with a better quality, you can run at the same speeds with lower core voltages. This in turn will lower your temperatures and increase the lifespan of your CPU as well as give you more battery time (because you use less power).

You can’t break your system by undervolting and it won’t void any warranties. Basically, only advantages. You can use a tool like throttlestop or intel xtu to undervolt your CPU pretty easily.

I hope that makes a bit of sense.

forbyefor_gold_eagle and Vasudev like this.
  2. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Newbie

Reputations:
    I appreciate the explanation. I'll probably give it a try then. I already used MSI to implement the overclocking settings and it seems to run smoother or rather transition from scene to scene in Unigine Heaven better than before. Not sure if this has something to do with the OC software or simply the OLED display. I was seeing at times a sort of stutter as the scenes transitioned from one to another when the screen was black. Not seeing that now. I followed the instructions given by @Mr. Fox in his youtube video. The voltage adjustment seemed out of reach though. Probably the lockdown by 'Chairman' Nvidia so the offset seems like the most successful for me so far, not sure the Voltage slider is accomplishing anything other than the mod makes the GUI slider functional. I ran another Firestrike which topped out at 10,286. I wonder if that's a record for this tiny little machine?

3. forbyefor_gold_eagle

forbyefor_gold_eagle Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    So I decided to use the PGS Panasonic tape to make a heat sink for my Samsung PM981 since I've seen the temps surge consistently into the 89-90C range (these things get hot)

Don't knock the sloppiness, I'm usually much neater than this but it was 2am and well I wanted a proof of concept more than perfection. I'm buying another Samsung PM981 soon anyway and I'll clean it up and possibly double layer. Good news is it works. 20 tabs open in Chrome, Excel files open, MSI Afterburner open, HWinfo64 open, explorer open and temps don't rise above 72C! I removed the sticker cleaned the surface of the controller and components with microfiber dampened with rubbing alcohol and then fit a piece to the drive top and then to the copper sheet heat sink below. This PGS stuff is pretty amazing.
    [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/XQuJRJ5
    https://imgur.com/KcsRCQ9

(side note: how do you attach an image to your post?, the normal forum buttons don't seem to work for me)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Vasudev and c69k like this.