Hello AAL(Amd Advantage Laptops)!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Ed. Yang, Jun 1, 2021.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    FWIW the Asus G15 AA cooling system is a significant upgrade over the cooling system of the Dell G5 SE or MSI Alpha/Bravo from last year. With the G5 SE in particular you could repaste and still have thermal issues afterwards. There was not much that could be done to actually make it a comfortable gaming laptop. Then with the MSI Alpha/Bravo most of them had poor quality screen. 60% sRGB on a $1400MSRP? Neither were really great options.

The Lenovo specs on the 6600M Legion seem decent. If it can compete with the 3060 in price and performance it should do well, even if a RAM upgrade is needed. Hopefully it includes a MUX. Seems like the 15.6 inch WQHD 16:9 panels are not available in any listed configs yet.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here is some additional confirmation that Asus is doing something wrong at the factory when it comes to their LM application process. Someone bought an M16 and detailed what was wrong and how they fixed it:

https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLapt...s_zephyrus_m16_liquid_metal_reboot_replacing/

This should serve as a cautionary tale to any buyer who would be unwilling or unable to take their laptop apart to fix Asus' errors.

Surprised to see that only the 6600M will be offered. Makes me wonder if we will see a Legion 5 Pro or Legion 7 with 6700M and/or 6800M options. And why in God's name are they still sticking with that garbage 120 Hz 1080p panel?

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its possible that because the laptop comes with a mid-range dGPU, they don't expect the FPS to reach, or hit more than 120 Hz at 1080p... and to be fair, laptop GPU's can hit above 100 FPS mark depending on the game and hw used, but, 120 FPS can be a stretch for a LOT of games (unless you play slightly older ones... in which case a higher resolution and higher refresh rates would be desirable along with more accurate colors and much higher nits).

Beyond the refresh rate and resolution, is there something wrong with that particular panel?
    Does it have bad color reproduction and low brightness (those are fairly common for OEM's to use anyway - which IS a shame because mobile phones get better treatment).

4. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The 120 Hz panel is only 250 nits max brightness and has very high response times. A 144 Hz 300 nit option is available. Actually I think there will be 2 plus a 1440p option so there is no reason why the bad one should still exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I agree.
    I also think 300 nits is a bit low for today's standards, is it not?
    Lenovo had Zen 2 APU only laptops with panels that went to 400 or 500 nits if I'm not mistaken.

6. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The Legion 5 Pro is 500 nits peak but brightness drops off a cliff thereafter. It’s not a nice linear progression downward like on my Dell XPS 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I don't think we will see another 6800M laptop this year, but would be happy to be proven wrong. AMD engineering resources is probably stretched too thin to support that many models being developed. I will just be happy if they do release the Asus Strix G713 AA with WQHD and the full numberpad. In theory it uses the exact same motherboard as the G513 AA and just needs a longer vapor chamber to fit the larger chassis. If it has to be repasted with non-liquid metal and RAM swapped then whatever.

No idea why Lenovo offers that 120hz. It is also an option on the Nvidia version too but seems to only be on the lowest end config: https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/Legion/Lenovo_Legion_5_15ACH6H?M=82JU00AWUS

SMGJohn likes this.
  8. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apparently FSR can be used even on older and non supported GPUs

Its a bad screen not just the low brightness but its color accuracy as well, Other manufacturers uses the same screen for their budget gaming laptops as well like the HP Pavilion, Acer Nitro and etc.

9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don’t see why it couldn’t be used on any GPU considering it’s just a dumb single-frame spatial filter with no temporal information, similar to simple postprocess AA methods like SMAA 1x and FXAA.

KING19 and saturnotaku like this.
  10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    KING19 and saturnotaku like this.