Hello AAL(Amd Advantage Laptops)!

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Ed. Yang, Jun 1, 2021.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Fairly comprehensive look at FSR performance and image quality courtesy of HUB.

There are no direct comparisons between FSR and DLSS since there are no games right now that support both. At 4K, the ultra quality and quality modes are surprisingly good and can provide a nice performance uplift. With 1440p, it seems only the ultra quality preset is really worth it while at 1080p it's pretty useless. The balanced and performance settings look pretty bad regardless of resolution.

It's definitely a more promising start than DLSS 1.0 had, but it remains to be seen if FSR will start seeing broad adoption in more popular games.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    KING19 and 4W4K3 like this.
  2. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Upcoming games like FC6 will have it and also RDR2 and current games will soon have it as well!.

Tbh Im pretty excited about it and it'll give GTX and older GPUs some new life!.

3. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Jarrod's Strix G15 Advantage review just dropped.

Aside from the lack of a webcam or MUX, what bothers me is the FreeSync range not extending below 60 Hz. I've always thought that was a key selling point of variable refresh rate technology - to reduce lag and stutter when performance goes below 60 fps. Even going down to 48 Hz, which is where a lot of desktop FreeSync monitors bottom out would have been good.

etern4l and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe the WQHD panel can go down to 48hz?

I am disappointed that it only supports S0 suspend instead of the more standard S3. They could have at least made it a bios option for those who prefer their notebooks to not randomly wake up and cook in their backpacks.

Linux support is also meh since every keystroke triggers the shutdown button. It can be overridden via a kernel driver but then you have dropped keystroke limiting to a max of 20wpm.. It also has trouble with managing the 6800m power state because of smartshift forcing the GPU to sleep via firmware, similar to issues the Dell G5 SE had with Linux for a good 6 months. Maybe 5.14 will fix it but so far I do not know for sure.

saturnotaku and etern4l like this.
  5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Seems like a not-insignificant number of people who ordered the Strix G15 are getting machines with 6800M GPUs that are not being detected by Windows.

Best Buy user reviews

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Possibly a liquid metal related issue, I saw this thread here (and images from a user in the comments):

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLapt...5_5900hx6800m_review_a_note_to_asus/?sort=new

https://public.fotki.com/cmacclel/asus/

So it seems that it may actually be safer to remove the factory liquid metal and repaste with traditional paste. The factory application may be a ticking time bomb.

7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Someone posted pics in the HUB Discord. If it is indeed the LM, that’s all the more reason for me not to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isn't the AMD side/version of MUX is referred to the Smart Shift?

9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyway, i've a very poor impression on ASUS heat dissipation design.
    I'm looking forward to the Lenovo Legion release of AAL which is now taking orders from appointed retailers. Pretty price hefty, as it seems they're jackin up the price, riding on the success of AMD fame...

10. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    No. Smart Shift is AMD’s version of NVIDIA Dynamic Boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk