Heavy duty gaming/entertainment computer 3k budget

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SJLPHI, Jun 27, 2021.

1. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,
    Let's start with that I currently own 5 laptops and my most "advanced" laptops are Lenovo T480 with dGPU and i7 core and also my Alienware 15 (2015).

My Alienware 15 has had its internal power cable replaced, keyboard replaced, one of the fans replaced, and the case is more or less falling apart at this point.

Now, I want to get a decent modern gaming/entertainment computer. I don't care about the brand or weight as long as it satisfies the following:
    -Will last 5 a long time, +5 years preferably (which is already asking for too much for modern consumer electronics)
    -Heat is not an issue (besides occasional re-pasting the thermal grease).
    -At least 1 M2 SSD slot.
    -At least 1 2.5" SATA slot.

What would you say is the "State of the art" gaming laptop under 3k USD?

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Clevo / Sager are the best options for price. I picked up an I7-9750H / 8GB for ~$750 shipped then upgraded / moved the items below.

I hunted down the one I have because I liked the idea of less $ and more HW options like dual NVME / SSD for a total of 3 drives as an option.

In the past I had Dell's / Lenovo but wanted something a bit different that wasn't obsolete when being sold. There are a whole lot less restrictions when you want to upgrade something as there aren't whitelists to deal with. I upgraded the RAM / WIFI / storage / Screen and none of them had any errors / issues.

The only downfall is drivers / bios are not as sleek as the mainstream vendors but, if you look in the right places it's easy enough to deal with.

If you're looking for a specific CPU / GPU that's a good place to start for narrowing things down. If you think you want to be bold and upgrade the CPU/GPU down the road it's possible on the models featuring MXM but, you'll pay more for those than a preconfigured one that's not swappable.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should fill out the form stickied at the top of this sub-forum to provide more specific detail. You are correct in saying that 5 years is too much to expect in a modern gaming laptop, not for reliability, but for performance. It makes more sense to cut your budget by a third, use something for 2-4 years, then upgrade again. It's very likely that, for the same amount of money you spend today, you'll be able to purchase a newer laptop that offers much better performance. Plus you'll lose less money on the other end by selling what you have.

4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Totally agree with this. I've switched up my buying cycle to every ~2 years and recoup 80-90% of the original cost for a 2-3 generation CPU boost of a newer model. Either port over the drives or clone them to the new machine and you're downtime is minimal. The last one I sold I put back in the OE 256GB drive and took out my new 1TB NVME for the new one. With generational changes though sometimes you require different RAM due to requirements but, other than that it's usually compatible moves from one machine to another.

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I am bidding at an auction for ASUS ROG GL702VS. My budget limit has changed significantly. I think I will settle for 7th gen i7, GTX 1070 and 32GB DDR4.

I want to just get rid of my aging Alienware 15 (2015) 4th gen i7 with GTX 970m, 16GB DDR3. It's still functional, It's just very funky to work with the horrendous W10 and AW BIOS support I get for it. Hopefully I'll get a small sum of money from selling it.

6. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    As long as it works someone will buy it. I've sold some laptops recently and didn't have to hold onto them for long after listing them on ebay. Be competitive with pricing and you shouldn't have any issue getting rid of it.

7. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Well I am getting a used ASUS ROG GL702VS for ~700 USD and I am outfitting it with WD Blue 2TB M2 SSD and WD blue 2TB 5600rpm HDD.

I am also planning for a 4TB NAS. I am going to go RAID 0, one weaker HDD for movies and etc. one HDD for sensitive data. 2TB SSD, that's the biggest one I'm getting ever.

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    That's just JBOD not R0. R0 uses both drives to make 1 huge faster drive.

If you want to make a NAS that's better than anything off the shelf pick up a used Desktop and put Linux on it and slap the drives into it. (slightly more complicated than that) but, minimal configuration to share the drives and a ton more power than something prepackaged from a store. Easier to expand as well vs the 2/4/6/8/12 bay options that cost way too much. Just another power / SATA cable and you're on your way.

9. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Yes, you're quite right. I meant R0 with two partitions each assigned to right HDD ID, so technically R0.

I'm just going to do 2 x 2TB HDD. I only need 100GB for critical, 900GB for backup and 3TB really for movies/enteratinament and etc.

10. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Why not go Raid 10 w/ 4 drives for speed & redundancy?

R0 is fine for speed / pooling but, if a single drive fails you lose everything.

R1 gives you redundancy with mirroring between the drives.

4TB isn't that big of a pool where expenses of HDDs gets out of control like my 8TB drives. $80 vs $170 =
    ~$320 for 4 4TB drives and you get 8TB of space to use w/ redundancy.
    Go down to 2TB x 4 and you're @ ~$240 for 4 drives w/ 4TB of space to use.

R0 gains you speed X # of drives = Y - WD Reds do ~200MB/s / drive
    R1 gets you the same speed but, redundancy
    R10 gets you double the speed + mirroring -- you can also add 2 drives to the mix for 3X the speed and so on.

R5/6 just add complexity to the mix with parity bits / calculations that slow things down.

http://www.raid-calculator.com/