Heat problems on maximum load

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey people...

Yesterday I got an X9100 cpu (laptop is Acer Aspire 5930G)
    The idle temps are quite low... they go below 40 degrees C all the way to 37 actually.
    Now, the maximum load temps go as high as 85 to 90 degrees C (90 seems to be maximum) - however, the northbridge heats up at least 7 degrees C higher than that and gets to 97 degrees.
    The gpu was giving me some strange temps so I cleaned up, repasted, and then the northbridge went to 105 degrees C under stress test in Orthos and of course the system shut off... dunno why it happened as the time before that, everything was working fine, and I did some measures that reduced the heat emission on the northbridge to the above mentioned temp (I put some thermal paste and a copper coin there).

But the temps seem way too high even still.
    While playing ST Online, the cpu goes up to 90 degrees C regulalry, it hovers at 87 or 87, but once it reaches 90, the CPU throttles itself down for a bit and FPS drops (at least momentarily until they go back up - which seems to repeat itself constantly).

This seems to indicate that in games, the system can't tolerate 90 degrees on full load cpu-wise when gaming.

I tried to undervolt, but that went to bust.
    Throttlestop is useless because ESI is locked and BIOS doesn't have an option that even displays it, let alone disables IntelSpeedStep.

I also tried CrystalCPUID.
    The weird part with that is how CPU-Z reports unchanged voltages on various multipliers, however, the system froze when I gave various multipliers too low a voltage... furthermore, CPU-z seems to report a strange voltage value (0.98 for 6x multiplier and 1.2 for 11.5 multiplier - and when I tried setting the 6x multiplier to that value, the system crashed).

Now, one of those two programs is wrong.
    I would wager that the CPU-z is reporting wrong values because it happened before.
    But that's not the problem... when I gave the 11.5 multiplier 1.16 Volts, the system worked, but there was 0 decrease in temperatures - which seems to indicate they might not have been applied.
    Someone mentioned to tick the 'IDA' slot in the program, but I can't find it (I don't think it exists).

Also, RMclock doesn't work on my system because it would seem x64 OS is incompatible with it.

Anyone has suggestions/solutions?
    If I can undervolt the cpu to produce about 10 degrees lower temps, that would be tolerable.
    I was also planning on installing some very thin copper shims (1mm) on the cpu, gpu and northbridge to try and get the temps down even further.

2. ramgen

ramgen -- Morgan Stanley --

Reputations:
    That should have taught you what 45W TDP means. :D

There is a reason why people pay *more* and buy T9900. I would recommend you to replace it with that. I have never seen my laptop exceeding 80C under any load (wPrime + Furmark).

--

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You mean 44W.

Here's an update:
    I revisited ThrottleStop and tried undervolting again.
    This time it worked.
    The minimum voltage I was able to achieve on 11.5 multiplier was 1.1V (reduced from the original 1.2V)... and temps in games saw reduction but only for a short bit.
    It held at about 82/85 degrees, but eventually got up to 90 again.

During ORTHOS stress test, I saw temperature reductions yes, and the chipset was at about 90 degrees this time (7 degrees lower than before)... which was more manageable.

I don't get it.
    I tried everything I could think of.
    Unless the heatsink is not touching down on the components properly (which I don't think is the case because I checked it and it seems to be properly seated)... the undervolting should have affected CPU temps - but it's as if it had no discernible effect at all.

4. lidowxx

lidowxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What kind of x9100 did you get? A stock x9100 should be running at x11.5 multiplier/1.2625V.

I have had my C0 stepping x9100 overclocked 24/7 at x12.5/1.25V for almost 2 years now, it highest it hits is around 80 C and it only happens during stress testing.

Of course we have different systems, but still I think you should check more carefully about the voltages, forget about CPU-Z, it often reads wrong info. What throttlestop reads is usually correct, I think you got the readings from CPU-Z and throttlestop mixed up.

I have seen a lot people swapping out their C2D for a x9100, I have not heard a single person had problems running them, you should at least be able to run it at 11.5 multiplier with some undervolting if your cooling system is not sufficient.

5. ramgen

Reputations:
    This is a clear indication that your cooling system is inadequate. It can't discharge the heat build-up properly and you see the temps gradually increasing around 90s. Also don't forget: If you play games, your GPU contributes to that heat build-up as well.

BTW, don't expect voltage modification (1.2V -> 1.1V) to drop your temps from 100C to 45C. Looks like your machine can't handle 44W TDP overall.

--

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's entirely possible my cooling is not great (or at least it's sufficient enough to run it just under overheating as it did the first time around), however, keep in mind that another person who has an identical laptop and didn't change his heatsink managed to get his X9100 running at 70 degrees under load - although, this was likely attributed to a cooling pad he has, which means that without it, his load temps are actually 80 degrees (which is still better than mine).

Regardless of that, reducing the Voltage from 1.2 to 1.1 should have produced a noticeable effect of at least 5 to 10 degrees - and in the end it didn't for some reason (i know the gpu plays a part in games, but not to this kind of an extent because at maximum, my temps before on P7350 for both the gpu and cpu were about 70 degrees for both the cpu and gpu - which means an 80 degrees or 85 should have been attainable with X9100 when taking the higher wattage into account).

Reducing the voltage by a lesser factor on my P7350 produced 10 degrees lower temps - but on the X9100 it's as if it had no effect regardless of how low I went (1.1V seems to be the lowest I can go as 1.088 caused ORTHOS to force stop).

I'll definitely have to check if the heatsink is properly seated.

If I don't stabilize the maximum load temps in the next 48 hours or so, I'll likely return the cpu.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

lidowxx
    ThrottleStop seems to indicate that without voltage modifications, the 11.5 multiplier runs at 1.2V (just as cpu-z reports).
    My X9100 is an ES.

7. lidowxx

lidowxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your old p7350 maxed at 70 C already? Dude, I have to say that acer cooling system is really really bad. P7350 is rated at 25w, same as the p8400 I replaced in my g50vt, most 25w C2D cpus run icy cool from what I have seen, mine used to peak at 55 C. Is your x9100 a C0 stepping or E0 stepping?

If undervolting can't lower the temp off the 90 zone, then you might not want to keep it then. Did you properly repaste your CPU with quality thermal grease?

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Revision says C0.

I think I did properly repaste the cpu. I used a small grain of rice (smaller than that actually) on the center of the cpu chip and allowed the heatsink to spread it. I used Zalman STG2 thermal paste - which seems to be quite good from my previous uses of the stuff.

Lol... my P7350 already peaked at 85 degrees C when I first got it under full load along with the gpu.
    I was able to reduce the overall temps by 10 to 15 degrees by undervolting the gpu (and employing the above mentioned cooling paste).

I'll have to recheck the heatsink a bit later today to see if there's anything else to be done.
    Aside from that, I will try putting copper shims on CPU, GPU and northbridge of 1mm thickness (and 2x2 cm large) to see if that will make any difference... if it doesn't, then I will probably have to return the cpu.

9. ramgen

Reputations:
    If you told this to me earlier I would definitely advice you not to buy a X9100. It is more than apparent that your cooling is very weak.

Now I think it may not be able to handle T9900 easily as well. Your easiest bet for performance increase is P9600/P9700. If you have the chance return it immediately and look for P9500+.

I am pretty sure it has a tiny aluminum made heatsink, correct? And probably with a low-airflow fan (to make things even worse)...

--

10. Kirrr

Kirrr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here's the cooling system:
    [​IMG]

The X9100 is definitely an overkill for this cooling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.